Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Articulating Allis-Chalmers 900

williamjordan

Well I have started to collect parts for this project. So far I have two hydrostatic rear ends out of a 912H and a 712H. The front half is going to be made out of the 912 chassis, which will have to be extended to make room for the engine and transmission. Here is my idea. I want to put the one rear end directly behind the the engine and drive it off a shortened drive shaft to the gear box. Not sure as to what I'm going to do for the pivits for turning and allowing the front half and back to "twist" while going over bumps etc. I was thinking for the rear transmission to run it with at hydraulic motor, but I want to keep the original PTO set up so that I can run rear attachments. Also I was thinking of keeping the orginal PTO on the front transmission so that if I have enough room to put a mower under the nose of the tractor. Any Suggestions, Ideas?? William Jordan

William; Check at a case industerial dealer on there trenchers and look at there steering and piviot point.This should help you out.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for you, but would love to see pictures of it when it is done!!

Bill, There are 3 or 4 fellows building CAD Track machines and have some pictures of the articulating joint over in the machine builders site. Might help and give you some insite. [url]http://www.machinebuilders.net[/url]

Not sure I can get this said so it will be understood but I'll give it a try. If you picture a strap hinge, Like you'd hang a barn door with, Both arms will move while the hinge center remains the same. So saying, you could put a jack shaft in the center of the pin and run a belt to a pulley on either or both straps and even as they moved the relationship to the pin wouldn't change and so the belt would remain in place.... So saying, If you turned a bevel gear box up on its side ( I'm sure you'd want to add an oil slinger inside to keep lube to the upper bearing ) You could feed the front from one and the bottom from the other and turning would not bother it. A pair of tapered roller bearings mounted over the output shafts would give you your pivot and being that only one end really should pivot, input power could be through a drive shaft as normal. While drawing this thing up, remember pinch points ! Fingers and toes don't come cheap heheheh. Likely many flaws will be found in this line of thinking but, its only an idea...Good luck, Can't wait to see what comes of your idea..

I;ve been thinking of this for a while too, I had a good idea earlier in the year, but i've forgotten what it was:(! Would it be possible to attach two hydraulic motors at the front of the bgb's, keep the original clutch setup, and have two "U" shaped peices of steel that interlock with a big 1 or 2" pin? I think it would work, but i havent thought it over all that much yet.

I'm kind of in the middle of that project myself, I used 2 cubs 1650 & 149. Hate to ruin 2 good tractors in case it didn't work. I have them cut and ready to go together, but got hung up on the pivot point also, put the project on the back burner for the winter. I was thinking of using a shaft since the power shaft on a cub hydro pump runs all the way through the pumps. was going to put u-joints in the center, but haven't figured out to stabilize the shaft in the center.

Sounds like a great project to be involved in, lots of good engineering problems to work out. That should keep you out of trouble for awhile ;)

Too bad you couldn't look at this one for ideas!!!

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2386983208&category=50377[/url]