Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Nick

Why you shouldn't buy Craftsman power equipment

Nick
Before this engine gets hauled to the scrapyard this weekend, I thought I post this picture of my Tecumseh built Craftsman engine. Even though the sump was filled completly with oil, the connecting rod still managed to snap and hit against the engine putting a nice hole in the side. There was even plastic gears inside too! I see why Simplicity pulled Snapper out of Wal-Mart, They would have to build junk like this just to keep the price down. [img]/club2/attach/nickstanchak/Untitled.jpg[/img]

rs07
I agree with you 100%. People tell me that when you buy Craftsman or other retail store brands, you get just as good as product as buying a Simplicity and so much less money. I tell them, I'll see you in 40 years and we'll see if that Craftsman is still around. I Guarantee me Simplicity will be though!!!!!! Simplicity made a wise choice by taking Snapper products out of Wal-Mart. Simplicity is a company that has always stood behind their independent dealers. Not selling some of their products in major retail store chains like some of the other big manufacturers are now doing.

IronPony
Simplicity needs to expand their dealer numbers and do more advertising. Where I live the nearest dealer is in the next state west. The local Snapper dealer is not interested in even talking about Simplicity products or parts!! Dan

bigcountry
The last good Tecumseh engine was the HH100. Every thing newer than that is crap. I have had numerous mowers and tillers with Tecumsehs and have had to part out a bunch of them because I could never get them to work right. The biggest problems I've had with them is the ignition. Their carburetors are easy to work on, but thats where the easy stuff ends. I have a Craftsman push mower that was given to me because they didn't know what's wrong with it, and it is a 2001 model. They pulled the head and the covers, and stopped there. So I'm gonna have to put it back together to see what it's problem is then tear it back down if there is an internal problem! Back in November, my neighbor told me I could have the Dynamark sitting in the woods behind his house and I thought, "cool". I went back there with the Wizard and a chain, I hooked up to it and dragged it out, it had no tires or wheels on it. I got it back to my yard and I opened the hood and found a 8 hp Tecumseh that looked exactly like the picture above, it had thrown a rod through the side of the block. That was why it was in the woods. I just put it on the truck and took it to the dump.

ambler
Sold my dynamark after 10 years use for 300. It had a sweet 18hp briggs twin. Craftsman just sold for $650 with 20hp onan, electric lift and sleeve hitch. Both were running much better than I got them. But both were top of the line. Craftsman no longer has horizontal engines.

ehertzfeld
Anything with a briggs is a good buy. "at least for the engine" I have two dead tecumseh's in the basement. I sold the stater, and a carb on Ebay but caint get rid of the rest. Looks like a trip to the dump! Elon

goatfarmer
That could happen to any engine,not just Tecumseh's. I bought a 6 year old Broadmoor last year.It had a Briggs Vanguard that looked like that.Owner told me that the engine had regular service,and was just used to cut grass.When it gave out,it was less than half throttle,pulling an empty yard cart

Karl_Brandt
The Tecumseh engine in lawnmowers,has a plastic gear on the camshaft which can strip teeth or break the camshaft in two parts. The Briggs & Stratton engines for lawnmowers also have plastic camshaft with steel shafts.I have not seen any of these strip the plastic teeth yet. Karl

Agricola
I know what you are saying.. Hence, no one buys Craftsman. Ooops, they do, again and again. My two Craftsmen consist of one that is running, a good $76 spent. The other came with the house and after 20+ years, the engine decided to pass on. Another engine and there she goes. Unless they put a Kohler in or I see a Wisconsin in there, I consider them pretty much the same.

rjgoth
It seems like most things now a days are made cheaply to last only a few years and then to be discarded. WHen I think about this it makes me happy to have a 66 101 to work with.

patrician12
Simplicity a/c tractors were in a class by themselves.Today to produce a 900 series or a 620 with that heavy steel and cast iron boxes would be cost prohibitive.What box store tractor has the capability to take attachments other than snowblowers,mower decks or snowblades.The ability to have the adaptation capabilities for a vast array of implements also costs money.Lets face it,a box store garden tractor can have Briggs,Tecumseh,Kohler or Honda power. This selection is what you are buying!The transaxle is limited to few manufacturers also but they seem very durable no matter who makes them.Simplicity will have to do more advertising and put pressure on their dealers to sell more to compete.Ford,GM and Chrysler always put sales quotas on their dealers.Studebaker,Amc,Packard etc.really didn't.I read many,many accounts how Studebaker dealers would rather sell 1 car at a $750.00 profit than 3 cars like Chevy at a $250.00 profit.Get the picture.They will have to push the Ferris line at every golf course and country club.The factory will have to meet them half way and do the promotional work or Deere in going to kill them!

KSever
quote:
Originally posted by rjgoth
WHen I think about this it makes me happy to have a 66 101 to work with.
Where are the pictures of this tractor? I'd be interested to see this restoration I've heard so much about.:D