Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SAFETY FIRST!

maxtorman1234

Just realized how really important safety is. After getting my finger caught in the drive pully on the bgb of my 710. I changed the pully on the trans. and changed the belt too. Started the engine, and checked the tension with my hand!!!:(![:0]:(. Yes i know how stupid it was, but i just wasnt thinking. I cant beleive i did it, but im ok. Just a reminder for everyone how important safety is! Now i realize too, I dont care what my finger looks like, as long as the pain goes away. Be careful when ever working on motorized machines!!

Thanks for the reminder. Last June I had a rock throw up against a tree and it hit me in the eye glasses. I got three pieces of broken glass in my eye. Luckily I was able to fish them out and all was ok. John H

After 40 years of working with machines and tools I still forget sometimes. This week I learned that a cordless saw is just as powerfull as my big Milwakee when its cutting fingers. I got three right across the pads but at least I didn't cut them off. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb

Ditto. I would also add that not only must we watch what we are doing, we must also watch what others are doing too. Many years ago I worked as a grease jockey at a service station when a lady came in and said her altenator light was coming on. I opened the hood and grabbed the belt with my finger tips to check the tension, but being aware of safety I told the driver "not to start the car". She replied "start the car", and before I could get my hand away, the belt pulled my fingers across the top of the altenator pulley and popped a cap of skin off one finger--just as clean as squeezing the skin off a grape. Thought it would never heal. /r David

I'm a brand new member and i have a similar tale with a lot worse ending. In 1987 I was preparing to mow my grass with a 3212H. As I fueled the machine and got ready to mow, the battery was too weak to restart and it was parked behind my truck. In order to use my jumper cables I had to disengage the transmission in order to push the tractor so I could back my truck out of the garage. After starting the tractor I climbed back on forgeting to re-engage the lever on the transmission. still sitting in the seat I reached back behind and under to shift the lever and stuck my right thumb in the transmission cooling fan severing it just behind the nail. Now you think that won't get your attention. Don't try it. It still hurts to talk about it today.

You guys are makin me hurt. Hope your ok maxtorman. But im no better here lately. In the past month i lifted the deck on my landlord up onto a set of saw horses and blow out my back, working in pain on my 4 wheeled wagon i cut the end of my finger (to the bone)on a peace of seel, grinding off some parts my knucked bumped the grinder wheel, and my wrench sleped of a bolt and sliced the skin on my thumb. And that has nothing to do with the spots on my lungs the Dr is watching, my Dentest said a tooth has to come out, and he also sees a tummer in my mouth. Hell i feel purty good. OOPS excuse me, Darn i feel good. But to top it all i got the worst intestinal flew I had in years in the middle of it all. Dont feel sorry for me just send memorials to my tractor fund. hehehehehehehe SAFETY FIRST tractors second.

I have 37 years in my craft and for the last 30 have taught safety classes. Never allow yourself to be in a hurry, frustrated, or overly tired. Thats when you tend to make the most mistakes. For the last 31 years I can only count to 9 3/4.

As I am cutting shingles at the local shows people keep asking how many fingers that I have lost doing that.I am prode to say that I have not had a nick from the blade yet.When you hear that blade running at 500 rpm you make sure that you don't get your fingers near it.Bad thing is a few years ago someone was using my mill and stuck his finger where you should not,They did find his finger out in the sawdust pile. I get a lot of little scrapes here and there but I guess that is part of being a mechanic,I guess gloves would help.Just don't put your fingers where they don't belong.Bob

Most of you read my lesson with tires, Im glad you ok. Also glad I'm not the only bone head! lol Thanks for the reminder. Elon

Going alogn the safty first theme, how meny of you have had close calls with thouse cut off wheels? I use one daily at work. I know I have close calls weekly. Elon

All i know, is im not doint it again. Too much pain, sure isnt fun. I dont know what it will heal like, and i dont really care as long as it dont hurt.

I wear leather when using cut-off wheels, those are dangerous when they come apart. I about lost a finger on a table saw, took a long time to get full usage back. Could of been alot worse, it was my mouse button finger! (long before home computors were out).

nicks cuts and scapes but only lucky bounce gloved fingers off bottom of car fan when stuck in the snow once. bit by spark from ign a few times too

Maxtorman: Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm concerned about something though--you mention a couple of times how bad it looks, but don't mention any diagnosis or treatment. Is it fractured? Does it move alright? Although, you can still move a fracture--that old saw (that if you can move it, it's not fractured) is pure myth--I've been able to move most of the bones I've broken. What I'm gettin' at is, perhaps you should have it looked at by a professional. After all, you consult professionals here, re: your tractor--aren't you deserving of the same care? And not to add insult to (future?) injury, but aren't you the guy with the tall, Cub exhaust stack with no support bracket? I imagine one of those hot stacks, crashing down unnanounced, could give a person a nasty cut. Not tryin' to "kick you when you're down," here. I'm just feeling concerned that you could be injured in the future by that unsupported stack. If it makes you feel any better, I've come close, a couple of times, to getting my fingers in the V-belts on cars and trucks. And just recently, I sucked my timing light into the fan the last time I used it--still haven't fixed it! Good luck, and I wish you a speedy recovery (which is why I suggested a medical consultation--just to be sure you're not supposed to be doing something for it while it heals). Peter

Well its being looked after, went to the hospital first thing, ant they were great. on antibiotics, as far as its concerned, it looks great. Small bit is fractured, but its ok. As far as not doing things, i've done everything i do normally with some help, except tie my shoes.

Definately, i dont know what else i could do. A guy cut through the bone the same day it happned to me. he couldnt get it stitched, because he came in the day after! Why wouldnt you go the day it happned?