Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need your opinions

zapolnik

I am looking for some feedback on what to do with this AC garden tractor that was given to me. It is an HB 212 that came with a mower deck and snowblower which are in nice shape, and a rototiller which is in great shape. The problem is the rear axle housing is cracked on the right side. Is something I can still find parts for or should I try to find new homes for the attachements up here in southwest Michigan? I would really appreciate any help anyone can give. Are there any club members up here who might be able use some of these parts? They are too nice to sell for scrap metal. Thanks again. Bob Zapolnik Thank you so much for all of your help. I'll give some serious thought to repairing it myself. Otherwise, I know I will find a good home for it. Thanks again. Hopkins, MI

Hey welcome to the club. A new axle tube will cost about ~$140.00. Mine was cracked too, and I made a new one since I have access to a nice machine shop where I work. If you part it out you will get some good money for the entire setup, but if you fix it you will have a great tractor with some very useful attachements. Ryan

robert I would say that the machine is definitely abel to be repaired. Depending on your skill level the repair can be done without too much trouble. I have heard of some members welding the axel tubes with good results. Depending on the condition of the tractor you may want to think about keeping it. Do you have a digital camera to take pics of the machine and the broken part, some of the experts here can advise you on how best to repair you tube. good luck with it

There are several guys here who part out tractors, You should be able to find a rearend to take the axle tube outta. HB 212's seem sought after so if you have no desire to fix it you should be able to get rid of it easy. We might hunt you down if you report taking the attachments to a boneyard.

Welcome Bob. There is not much on these old machines that can't be fixed. Parts are available, some through manufacturer, and others through club members. There are several helpful members in your area that may even have the parts you need. I myself am in the Ann Arbor area. If you decide to fix it you will have a nice hard working machine. If you decide to sell you will probably find several of the members willing to help out with that as well. Good luck with your project you will find lots of help around here. ps. The $10.00 membership fee is well invested.

Like the others have said fix it. But if not I am sure others here would like me be glad to unload you of that burden. All I gotta do is hook up the trailer and drive. All kidding aside welcome to the club.

Fix it, keep it, use it. You'll enjoy it. :D:D I can only imagine how many members are wishing they too could get such a great package all together in good shape at one time for Free. Count me as one of 'em :I Welcome aboard.

I believe that I have a good used axel out of a vickers hydro.It came out of a AC416h and I think it would be the same.I can do some checking on that if you are interested.

Welcome to the club. You are in AC TRACTOR COUNTRY you should be able to find what you need. In the mid atlantic states these tractors are few and farther in between. I have a 1963 MW gardenmark and she is still hitting it. Good luck and KEEP THEM RUNNING. John H

Welcome to the club, I don't have a hydro axle but I have a few spare rear ends of the manual type. You should try and fix it if you run into trouble bring it on up to Ludington and I will help you. Please don't send anything to the junk yard, as It all has value and many members myself included would be happy to pay a fair price for what you have.

Hi Zap! Welcome to the club, and here's my two cents worth of horse feathers. First off, I would have someone repair it if I couldn't do it myself. Even if the cost exceeds your expectations, how much do you have invested? If you don't have the funds readily disposable, it would behoove you to hang on to it until you could afford a repair. I don't know your situation, this is just what I would tell anybody. That tractor and those implements are a fantastic catch. Secondly, scrap yard?! That's harsh! Ouch! That's like going onto a Corvette site and saying, "yeah, I got a '63 Stingray, but it needs brakes and tires, I think I'll scap it" Hehe, just funnin' with ya Robert! Good luck, and please keep us updated on how you make out! Rob

Welcome to the club. There`s all kinds of parts around this area for these old tractors. Just up the road from you in Wayland there is a salvage yard. It is called Wayland Outdoor Power phone number is (616) 792-9377 if they can`t help you PM me or email me and I maybe able to help. RayS