Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Question for Farmers

MPH
This cultivator shank is off a McCorrmic 'sp?' model 238. I salvaged from my sisters junk pile a couple years ago with the intend to make a 'duck foot' for killing weeds. Though I spent many days using one on a Farmall H in my youth, I have no clue what the adjustment bolt painted white is for. Due I need it? Won't waste the PB blaster trying to free 3 of them up if I don't. Thanks..

Ronald Hribar
I am not postive. But I think it is the adjustment for allowing shank to kick back when encountering stones. By adjusting that you can preload spring that allows shank to move. Most of the time they were set for the most resistance possible. As many of the assemblies did not automatically reset. And with the extreme amount of cocentration so you did not uproot crop you could have not cultivated an entire row. We had fields that took one hour to reach from one end to other . When corn was small.

MN_FISH
I'm not familiar with it. It looks like some kind of a trip mechanism if you hit a rock so the shovel wouldn't break? Seems like it has 3 adjustments. 1 is the spring tension, 2 the adjusting bolt which should make it trip easy or hard? 3 the other bottom bolt with the little piece on it should match the cogs on the main piece to adjust the angle or pitch of the shovel. Hope I didn't confuse you but if you loosen every thing up and start playing with spring tension and the white bolt you will see what I mean about trip pressure? Have the solid end in a vise so it will be like bolted onto the cultivator.

MPH
It is a trip set-up, though I never recall tripping one when I was a kid. The spring tension must have something owners set when they bought 'em cause I know that bolt would twist off if I tried to break the rust loose. Think your right on # 2 also Wayne, seems like it would change the angle of the trip mechanism pivot point. #3 was easy, I even remembered how to do that adjustment. Working with this iron today reminded me why dad had a spot on every tractor where a 2 lb ballpeen hammer could ride all day. Think I'll keep the PB blaster squirting a few days before I mess with the first two adjustments.

Deadeye
This is just like the adjustments on a John Deere, the white bolt will adjust how much pressure it will take to trip the shank. In our rocks I spent a lot of time stopping, raising the cultivator and kicking the sweep back into position, get back on and away I would go with my trusty old 1940 B. I still have the tractor and cultivator. My AC cultivators have similar adjustments. We used to pour some kerosene on them before we started cultivating so they would not be rusted tight. Have fun come warmer weather!!