Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC616

I recently purchased a house with a 5 acre yard (glutton for punishment?) and was looking for a garden tractor to get it under control. I happened to drive past one called a AC 616 and ended up buying it (even though I had never heard of Allis Chalmers or Simplicity, having grown up in England) It's in really good shape (I think it is 1983/4 and has about 500 hours on it) with a 60" belly mower and a woods back blade, I will try to post a photo of in the next few days. I then discoverd this excellent site and have spent hours looking over the history of the company, checking out the photo gallery and discussion pages.For some reason this model does not get much mention (only one photo and not much in the discussion section) and importantly for me there don't seem to be any compatable attachments listed (I am particularly looking for snow handling i.e. front blade or thrower/blower). Are the any such attachments that will fit? I am about to try to order manuals for the tractor and engine, but are there any particular weaknesses of this model or preventitive maintenance I should be doing? Once again thanks for all the great info on this site I am now realy proud to be an owner of one these great tractors (previously was wondering exactly WHAT I had bought!!!) Thanks, Jock

Jock, Glad to have you with us. I can answer a few of your questions, though I have no "direct" experience with a 616. The AC 616 is the same tractor as a 620 (and 720) except for the engine HP increased from 16HP to 19.5HP on the 620. The 616 wasn't produced long before this HP increase, so there's not nearly as many of them around. It is also the same as a Simplicity 4040/4041, and the later PowerMax. The attachments listed for the 4040/4041 in both the Simplicity section (1973 4041) and the What Fits section will fit it.... You can get blades, snowblowers and front end loaders.... Kent

• 5 months later...
Jock, I purchased a 616 used in 1973 and have been using it to mow my 5 acres ever sence. Needles to say I am satisfied with this tractor. Besides the 5' belly deck I have dozer-snow blade, turnplow, disc harrow,owners manual, shop manual, and parts manual for 616-620. Two things you might want to do; 1 drill a 3/8" hole in the bottom of the axel housings (between the drop axel and the differential). This will keep 90wt. diff. lube from getting to your inboard disc brakes. 2 replace the spring loaded pressure relief valves on the drop axel housings. These are supposed to release the pressure built up when the 90wt. lube heats up. Problem is they stick. I replaced mine with 90%pipe street el and pipe plug with small hole drilled up through center of plug (not completely through) and then from side to side on the wrench flats. Pipe size is 1/8". Both of these things I either saw on later similar models or read about. Of course by the time I found this out the discs on my brakes were already soaked and had no stopping efectiveness. Good Luck, Stush