Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear Hub

RenegadeJ

Well, thought I would replace the seal on the transmission today. Could not get the hub off the axle. Used a three prong wheel puller with an air operated impact gun to tighten the puller. Result, broke the gear puller. Managed to get the keyway out by tapping from the back side. Both set screws are out. Put the wheel back on a took it for long ride hoping by starting and stopping the tractor it might loosen, no luck. Hooked chain around a big tree and hooked it to the tractor hoping that with a heavy pull the axle might turn in the hub, No luck. Anybody have any suggestions. I really don't want to take the complete axle out by taking everything off the differential side.

You can remove the diff from the right side, then remove rings from the axle and pull out the entire axle with the hub attached. The hubs are welded to the axles on the newer units.

I had to do as Rod described and removed my differential on the Landlord. Soaked it, heated it, broke a puller, and beat on it for about 1 week but the hub never did come off. Ended up taking the differential off the other side

Just did one on 1 of my wonderboy 700s I am sorry to say that I did break 1 hub but I did have a spare.I did get it off by using my Big snap-on puller with the flange puller.Used the impact and a little heat it did come off but very hard. A little fileling and a little sandpaper and the used one went right on.Be careful they break easy.Bob