Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tire size safety Q

Boney

If you have a 6" wide tire rim. Is it SAFER to use either a tire made for a 5" rim or a 7" rim ? I am asking this from a purley safety purpose. I am having difficulty finding a AG tire made for a 6" wide rim. thnx :)

Boney, From what I have read on this site, I don't think there is a safety issue. At least not that I can remember. I think the bigger question is the shape of the tire once on the rim. Again from what I have read, if you put a wider tire on a narrowing rim, the tire itself will change shape. The sides of the tire will be pulled in, and the crown of the tire will be pushed up. There was a discussion about this is the recent past. I don't think given the speeds the tractors run that you will see a safety issue. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. If you call the tire supply store, they should be able to tell you want the manufacturer recommends. Rick......

Might be hard to get a 5 inch tire to set the bead if your going tubeless, not sure on that, but think either would work just fine.

You should have no problem finding ag tires in 6-12 size. I contacted Tucker Tire a while back about ag tires, here's the email.... From: Jim Dalton <jimdalton@webtv.net> [ Add to Address Book | Block Address | Report as Spam ] To: <thedaddycat@excite.com> Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2337919800 I have all your tires 400x12 tractor rear lug design 60 dollars a pair 500x12 70 dollars a pair and 600x12 for 64 dollars a pair tubes five dollars each and shipping on the six 25 dollars jimdalton 800 443 0802 days mail order Tucker tire po box 1149 Dyersburg tn 38024 TUCKER TIRE COMPANY eBay Store Address:http://www.stores.ebay.com/store=1915246&RefID=store Forwarded Message: Hi there, I got some ag tires for my garden tractor in the 23X8.50-12 size. Do you have that style of ag tread in the smaller 6-12 size for the garden tractors? I think the modern size would be called 23X6.00-12, if I understand the way the numbers work correctly. I am also looking for some 5-12 and/or 4-12 tires for the two-wheeled walking tractor style of garden tractors. They look kind of like the ag tread found on big farm tractors. I have not had any luck so far but the guys on the tractor site say you guys are the ones to ask. Thanks, Kirk As you can see, Jim says he had 4-12, 5-12, and 6-12 all on hand. Here is a pic he sent me of the 5-12 and 6-12 ag tires....

Thnx guys for the help, here is the response i got from Rustys Tiers Hiya bones... Thanks for your email. There is a 6-12 size, it stands 22.4" tall, and is 5.6" wide. It is however designed to be used on a 4" wide rim. There is also a 7-12 size in the TRU POWER (similar tread design). This tire stands 23.9" tall and 6.5" wide, and is designed to be used on a 5" wide rim. There is also a 23x8.50-12 size that stands 23.2" tall, 8.0" wide, and goes on the 7" rim. Thats about as close as I can come in that AG LUG style tire.... Feel free to phone me with any questions at 800-427-5558. Thanks for your interest and all the best, Carl King

It seems that the rim is usually about an inch smaller than the tire size. If the rim is wider, you will probably need a tube because you won't be able to get the tire to seat if tubeless. You can usually go up to an inch wider than the tire but you will have to keep the pressure relatively high to get the tread to flatten out properly. With a narrow rim you can run lower pressures. You can run an 8.50 on a 6 inch rim. I have run 10.5 tires on 7 inch rims, but I prefer the 10.5 inch rims that I am currently using. Made them myself from a 6 inch set. I don't think there would be a safety problem as long as you are within a couple of inches of being the same.