Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC-616 Story

johnerj

Well, I bought this tractor, Oops I mean transmission from a club member last spring. Turns out after a 4 hour drive (on my part) to pick up the trans. it was not out of the tractor, so Craig says to me; just take the "WHOLE" tractor I was just parting it out anyway. Well after about 3 hours of walking around in his weeds, and picking up parts and tossing them in the bed of my truck, I finally headed back home. About 2 months later I finally put the tractor back together. I mowed my 3 acre field 2 times during the summer, and plowed my drive all winter long with this beast. Now..... the tractor came with the plow and everything you see in the picture, except the wheel weights and chains, all I did was add wheel horse hubs, so I could mount the larger rear tires and rims 23", and I changed the front tires to 18'' with bearings. This is an AC 616-H "special", my first Hydro, and I just love it. Even though it has about a 12 foot drive belt, this thing does not slip, it just digs in....WHAT A BEAST! The only thing I don't like about it... is that it does not have the rear PTO for the tiller. I think I bought one heck of a "TRANSMISSION" for $200, and saved an Allis from death row.

Better Pic added.

nighteye, yes he has quite a few tractors in the Classifieds. Mwells, yes it is for the $$$ and the work it performs. "One heck of a tractor".

quote:
Originally posted by toad270
nice tractor I've got an extra $200 around here somewhere. LOL
Toad270, at this point it will take a lot more than that to pry this tractor away from me, even without the extra engine, and 42'' "parts" deck I got with it. John

Nice 'transmission' there John! I drove (40miles) down to Craig's last fall and got a nice snowthrower for my Broadmoor.

Got a road trip to Craigs soon myself. If I keep adding things I'll have another road trip with the big truck:D

Dave, maybe good idea to bring the wife. My wife came with me and kept saying: What about that plow? What about a deck, next thing I knew I had to make 2 trips for all the "stuff" we got. Well worth the trip to Craigs "Simplicity-AC heaven" As my wife called it. Honestly I have never seen so much orange in one place. John