Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis B-112 Starting

petef

Disconnect the ground wire at the point box to eliminate that. Check the point gap (when fully opened) - should be 0.18-0.20 and make sure the points are clean as DoubleT mentioned. Use a lint free paper and slide it between the points when they are open, turn engine by hand until they are closed and slide out the paper. Repeat if necessary. If spark is still weak replace points and condensor. If still weak after that replace the coil/armature.

I have recently received a hand me down Allis B-112. As of Sept. last year is ran, but hasn't since. It is not getting a proper spark. I have done some fiddling and checking to these conclusions. The magneto is sending out current. When placing a screw driver blade in the place of the plug and holding it next to the block there is no spark. Yet if I rub the tip of the screw drive back and forth on the block while turning over the engine there is the slightest little blue spark. I have been advised to use a new spark plug, but I don't think the enginet will be producing enough of a spark any how. This is a key switch tractor. Any help, remedees, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Are you sure breaker points are clean, dry, and properly adjusted? They seem to be hypersensitive to moisture.

I agree with what JeffNemes says. A word of advice, get the coil, points, and condensor at your local NAPA store. I buy parts there all of the time and they are good quality at a fraction of the cost. I think the coil number is 7-01604 or 7-01605 (not for sure). Coil will be about $25 and points and condensor about $20. Good luck!