Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Rebuild?

Glacier

I have a 13 hp cast briggs in a 7013, I have a hard time restarting the motor when it is hot and it takes a long time to come up to speed when it finally does start. I'm thinking of pulling the motor to see if I can find the problem, but I'm not sure what to look for. Or is there something I can do without pulling the motor? Any heplful suggestions will be welcomed greatly. Thanks in advance!! Jeff

You can take a compression test with the engine cold and another with the engine warm. Compare the two readings. If there is a big difference you can do a leak down test with the engine hot to find out where the problem might be. The leak down test should indicate whether your problem is rings, valves, etc... This can all be done without pulling the engine. If the compression is good you might want to consider the possibility of spark or timing when the engine is hot. Could be magneto not operating properly when hot. Just my 2 cents worth.

Are you sure that your carb is adjusted correctly? Sounds like it could be running overly rich, which will make it start easy when cold but it will want to flood when hot. This will make it hard to start when hot and make it spit and sputter quite a bit till it cleans the excess fuel out, when it will then rev up properly.

If you find your compression is lower when hot it might be your valve clearence is to tight, when hot, your valves may not be closeing tight.

All of the above are good suggestions. How long have you owned the tractor? Did this problem just begin? If you've never had the motor out, I would pull it. Remove the shroud and check for grass clippings or mouse nests. The motor could be overheating. I would also remove the base and clean out the gunk. Pulling the motor is not a big job and a clean tractor is much easier to work on.

Thanks for the advice guys! Got a little antsy this afternoon and pulled the motor and replaced it with a 12hp briggs I had sitting on the bench. It's all back together and in running order. Now I'm going to redo the 13 hp.

I think that before I did anything else, I would be sure the exhaust was clear. What your saying is going on sounds a lot like a loose baffle in a muffler thats blocking exhaust. I know it sounds over simple but its worth a look. Good luck with it.