Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lift Rod Wear???

MPH

When hacking my rear lift on the landlord I noticed upward tension on the lift rod. Upon checking it out deeper I find the rod rubs on the pin of the lift cyl, which forces it down against the BGB. Is the cyl supposed to have some sort of special pin? If I were to turn it around so the cotter key was on the other end the shift rod would rub worse then it does now, which is just barely a drag as is. Thanks

Here's a link to a closeup pic of the one on my hybrid HB-216... it's too big to post in here... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/var_hydro/full_tunnel_top.jpg Note that this is a larger 9/16" hardened steel rear lift rod that I had John Scheele make me... I kept bending my homemade 1/2" ones (made out of cold-rolled steel) in my New England rockpile....

Thanks Kent. That is a very flat head looking pin. Problem is on manual tranny the shift lever come across about at close on the other side.

Had the same problem with my home made rear lift bracket. Solved the problem by using a pin the fits flush on each side of the bracket. Drilled a 3/32" hole through the bracket ear and pin to install a cotter pin. Don't know if I'd want to drill through the cast iron for fear of weakening it, but you could drill through the tie rod of the cylinder without causing a problem. Pat