Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Decisions, Decisions and timing is everything.

GregB

Got home from work today, looked in the local weekly, saw an ad that read: Simplicity Lawn Tractor, 16hp Hydro, 48" mower deck,snow thrower, and cart. $400. After my heart stopped pounding I called. It was a 3314 repowered with a Briggs 16HP. The guy said he put all new bearings in the deck last season then welded patches in the deck shell. At this point i'm still interested. He then went on to say that the cart was an original Simpilcity cart and he also said he had some kind of vaccum attachment for it that he never used!! [:0] He would not hold it for me as two or three other people had already called about the ad. Here is where the decision comes in, My 13 year old son has an indoor soccer game to this evening and my wife just had surgery for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (many stitches in her wrist):(:( With the snow we just had, she did not feel comfortable driving him to soccer. She said she would try to drive him so that I could go look at the tractor and stuff. I decided to go to the game, and if I was to have the tractor, it would not be sold when I got back home. Well it was sold but, I got to see his team win 8-2 and he scored two goals. I think I came out about even. There will be other deals, but time watching him grow is well spent :D:D

there will be more a/c and simplicitys out there . you're ateam player. i think you made the right choice.you're remember that game for ever.

No, you didn't come out even, you came out WAY ahead! You could never replace missing your sons great game. No replays could match that. It was nice that she offered to drive him too. Did you say 16hp/hydro/cart? (sniff) that would be tuff!

You did the right thing! There will be more tractors but the kids grow up so fast you need to get every moment you can with them, and to see your boy score 2 goals is great! Give him an extra "atta boy"

Excellent choice Greg8D^ Like stated above the kids only grow up once but there are always more tractor deals to be had....

Greg, you are the kind of person that make this site what it is. It is a person's inside value system that is important not how many toys he has. Glad your son had a great game and has a great father! Dan

Greg you are a good person but missed the option of having your wife walk to buy the tractor. Congratulations on the Soccer win.

A very good call on your part !It`s apparent your priorities are on the $$$:D:D:D (now you will probably find a better deal!)

You made the right choice. But you could call the seller, and maybe get the name of the person who bought it and try to buy it from them.

They always say "what comes around, goes around." Your right choice will give you rewards later on, and you already got a nice reward seeing your kid win. = can't be beat.

Greg, You are The Man!!! I have about 30 old tractors around here both big and small including a couple rare ones. My son is 18 when he was 10 he really got into Ice fishing so we fished and the tractors sat. when he was 16 he wanted a car, so he saved his money and bought an old El'Camino and the tractors sat, Then we bought two more and after about 600 hours in my shop together we rolled out his 79 made from 3, with a 350/ 350Hp Vette engine. He is a senior now and still has the coolest [and fastest] ride in school. The rusty old tractors are still there and now I have some time to work on them. Boy I wish he was 10 again! I am so glad I took the time to spend with him when I had the chance, no tractor, no deal ,no amount of money could ever equal the joy of watching and helping my son grow. You just stick with that kid your rewards are yet to come.

FROM THE HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO DEPARTMENT: Had I been in the same situation, I would have offered to drop off a check for the machine on the way to the game with the condition that if when I came back to look at it I did not want it, he could sell it to the other people. Then after the game or the next day, go look at the machine and make the decission. Of course if that wouldn't have worked out, you did the right thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!