Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle Mower Pulley ? NEW ????

MPH

Drug my type 2/cable lift mower into the shop today, after knocking moss and dirt off, first inspection shows a lack of the drive pulley. As I'm going to Fairbanks in the morning, anyone know what size of pulley I need? Length of belt be handy too, might buy a cheap one to make sure it works before I go for the real belt. Thanks...

I have one of the older mowers with the lift lever. Do you think the pulley diameter would be the same? If so, I could run down to the garage and measure it for you.

I have the cable lift. Just went and checked. Drive pulley is 6" while the 2 idlers are 4 1/2" According to belt & blade reference, belt is # 156120 (A/C number) and is 1/2" wide by 11/32 by 63.1 "long.

Yes mine is the cable lift. Marty, forget I said anything. :D:D I hate giving out wrong info. Thanks Maynard. I looked at the sickle for the B's in the belt reference and never even thought about 2 different styles.

Dan you are right for the older style cable lift 46" sickle mower MFG# 990687, 990623,990548, 990538, 990465, 990402, 990346, 990210 Drive belt# 156120 Length 63.1" Type HA Drive pully# 106485 PULLEY-06.00" If marty is useing the newer style on the older tractors maybe he should use the smaller 6" pulley with the longer 63.1" belt for the B and Landlord. MFG# 990210 is the handle lift model

I'll have to do some research then. Mine has the older pulley (smaller) but the cable lift. It has the numbers still on it but I cant remember what they were. (model number) It has a belt on it too but i couldnt read the number

This mower came with my Landlord Maynard. Hope your not refering to my Landlord as an 'older tractor':D. Only number I found is cast in the case. Must be the cold up here that eats them funky stickers off. Second look, some PB blaster, loosened up the sickle holddowns and pulled it, wire brush in drill got rid of the rust and everything turns nice and free. This might be an easy project. Judging from the sickle teeth and rock gaurds I don't think she cut much hay. The teeth still have an even spread of the little saw teeth.:) Thanks for the help thus far. Why would I want to use the smaller pulley if my Landlord is an older tractor Maynard?

Marty Here are the manuals for the different sickle mowers. Your mower will be in the first manual 46" sickle mower MFG# 990687, 990623, 990548, 990538, 990465, 990402, 990346 Cable lift and MFG# 990210 Handle lift Manual. With drive pulley on a horizontal shaft. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3364_00_AT_S.pdf 46" sickle mower MFG# 990785 Cable lift, cone clutch manual. Drive pulley on vertical shaft http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1355_00_AT_S.pdf 46" sickle mower MFG# 1690030 cable lift, cone clutch manual. Drive pulley on vertical shaft. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_2477_00_AT_S.pdf

While in Fairbanks today shooting at the Bismark I left home early enough to look for my pulley. Found a new store called Electric motor, bearing and Belt, industrial side of town. Got a cast iron 4 inch for the BGB and a alm 6.5 inch for the mower drive. Will alm hold up for a while or should I watch it REAL close. Could have gotten a cast iron one but it was 35 bucks plus the center is bought as a piece of its own. That seemed like overkill to me. Guy could even cross over the Simplicity belt #. Thanks again for the help. Also stopped buy a tank manuf. co and found out they have a cutoff iron pile for half price and a dumpster for freebees. For 50 bucks I got some nice assorted angle and strap iron in about 3 foot lengths and a pile just as big of foot to 18 inch stuff and some chunks of plate for free, plus a 2 foot piece of 1 inch round stock cold roll for the lift tube:):):):):):):):)

Is my $7.49 alm. pulley

too cheap or do I have a different problem? Runs for about 5 min and the set screw comes loose, key falls out and of course all motion stops. Was running the engine just above idle, I get 2.75 revolutions on the bgb per stroke, last nites reading of the many post on these things taught me 3-1 is the goal, 2.75 x 720 stroke/min = 1980 engine rpm so I figure that's alright as is. I can't feel any play in the pitman set-up though it seems like there is a whole lot of shaking going on. Don't recall the old farm mowers shakin that much, but its been 35 years and many a mile since I mowed hay. Thanks for any feedback Better correct myself, after running for a couple 5 min intervuals, I can now feel some looseness in the crankshaft rear bearing and a slight amount in the housing bearing. Maybe somebody rebuild the bar, as the teeth are all nice and sharp with saw tooths, and this thing has put up more hay then I thought.

Hopefully I will be in on the sickle bar scene soon. I'm going to look at one tomorrow afternoon. Plus maybe a tiller. John H