Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Agco-Allis 918H

tej

My son has an Agco-Allis 918H with a Kohler Command CH-18 engine. He put a snow blower on it and the snow auger runs backwards. On further checking it seems the PTO runs backwards. The only thing that I can see that could cause this is if the engine was running backwards. Is it possible for a Kohler CH-18 to run backwards? Tim

I'm not familiar with this model but it sounds more like a belt twisted or something on that order to me. I'll be interested to hear the cause when it is discovered.

The belt to the deck has a half twist in it so it could run the right direction depending on which way you twisted the belt. The snowblower belt has no twist in it so you can't change the rotation of it. Tim

I think you need the operating instuctions. If it is a front pto driven blower, there is a twist in the belt. Moreover you can loop the belt to the blower the wrong way and it will run in reverse.

I wonder is this might be related to the problem I have with my tractor. I have 6 speeds in reverse and one in forward? Everytime I mow, the grass gets longer. I think I have it now.

It's not a front PTO driven blower. It's driven of the center PTO with a belt with no twists in it. The center PTO is the 90 degree gear case that is direct coupled to the engine. If you stand on the left side of the tractor the PTO should turn counter clockwise. It seems this PTO is turning clockwise. Original question, can a Kohler CH-18 run backwards?

I would say no because intake valve has to bring in fuel exhaust won't burn. I'll try a Maynard. This is how the belt should run.

Some engines can run in either direction. It depends on how the cam is made and can be started in either direction by reverseing the starter direction. Others need a different cam to run in opposite direction as well as the right starter to start it in that direction. As I said before The engine should be turning in a clockwise direction as viewed from the back of the tractor. If it is not the engine might have been replaced with an engine to run counter clockwise. If your P.T.O is running clock wise (the correct direction is counter clockwise) the engine is running counter clockwise. The wrong direction

Maybe someone changed the BGB and put the new one in upside down. This will change the direction of shaft rotation.

If BGB is backwards... So then the hydro lever should work backwards also (hydro running backwards), with the belt tightener I think this would be jumping all over the place. Are you sure you have the correct snowblower?? If you have put a snowblower from a 300/400 series tractor (with the full carriage) it will run backwards driven from the center PTO.

If The BGB is in upside down, wouldn't the fill hole and dipstick be on the bottom? Also it might not be getting the correct lubrication to the gears if this is the case. Good Luck,

In the age of electronics, how about a picture of the engine installed in the tractor, a picture of the BGB and then things can start to be eliminated.