Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering column on B-210.

Yes it is a rubber bushing wrapped around a brass collar. If you take off the hood you might find that it has slipped down below the dash. My 3210V does that all the time. If you don't have one the Simplicity # is 157077. Which is a orginal number which might be updated by now or not?

Guest Jef
A hose clamp installed below the rubber bushing will help keep it from falling down. :)

The steering column on my B-210 has a good 3/4 inch of side to side slop. It has a metal collar on the top side of the sheet metal, but nothing goes thru the sheet metal or comes up from below. What do I need to fix this?

there is a rubber bushing that goes in the dash that the steering column goes thru and you should beable to order it thru any simplicity dealer.

On my B212 there is a metal lip on the bottom of side of the dash and it will only go thru the top of mine by pulling the steering wheel off.

Guest Jef
There should also be a retaining ring or snap ring that keeps the bushing from sliding down the shaft. If the bushing slides down the shaft then check to see that the snap ring has not broken or possibly the grove for the ring is worn out. Sometimes the bushing is still good "but" the snap ring being broken allows the bushing to slide down the shaft to the bottom like someone stated. There isn't any real easy way to take the old bushing out so if it has ended up at the bottom I slide it back up inside the steering shaft tube and hold it inplace with a heater hose clamp. By pulling the side covers off you can check to see if the bushing has ended up at the bottom. This will then support the lower steering shaft at the same time. The steering wheel needs to be taken off to replace the upper bushing and snap ring. Most of the time a puller is needed to take the steering wheel off. I am not sure if all of the tractors require the snap ring but I beleive most do. I hope this helps and please correct me if I am wrong. Best To ALL, >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. I deleted most of this message and have rewritten it. I hope this one makes more sense.

It appears that I am missing a steering tube? I have a metal bushing between the console and the steering wheel, it is locked inplace with a setscrew. But, I have no tube for a bushing to fit into under that. I will have to look into this more. Thanks for the input.