Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vickers Or Sundstrand?

nrallen

Can some one tell me how to tell if my hydro is a Vickers or a Sundstrand? I have looked for about 4 hrs with no luck through the site and did several searches. My tractor is a 7016H mfg 1690427 code 01085. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

According to the MFG# 1690427 it is a late model 7000 series which has a Sundstrand in it. Owners Manual [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3045_02_SV_S.pdf[/url] Parts Manual [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_493_03_LT_S.pdf[/url]

The easiest way to tell if you are unfamiliar is if it has an oil cooler on top. Oil cooler=vickers, no oil cooler=sunstrand. There were supposedly a few early System 7016's with Vickers but all I have ever seen are 7016's with Sunstrands.

There was an early model 7000 series and a late model 7000 series. The early model Hydrostatic had a Vickers. The late model Hydrostatic had a Sundstrand. The easiest way to tell them apart is the headlights. The early model 7000 series had the Quad bulb headlights in a pod on the outside of the grill. The same as the 3400 series. The late model 7000 series had 2 head lite bulbs inside of the grill.

My 77 AC716H is the same as the Simplicity 7016H and it has the Sunstrand hydro. This is a very good hydro unit. From what I have heard on this site, the Sunstrand appears to be much less troublesome than the Vickers units.

Thanks guys, you cleared that up for me quite well. That also explains the differences between my brothers 7016H and mine, the headlights and the cooler. His is a couple of years older than mine. His leakes all the time, and I have never had a problem with Mine. Thanks again Maynard, Brent, and Rodney. You guys and this site are really Amazing.

I absolutely agree Maynard. It would be a deal at ten times the fee. Maynard I had looked at both the owners manual and the parts list, but couldn't find my answer. I guess I am missing something, probably brain cells!! Thanks again!

This is a sunstrand. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0008.jpg[/img] This is a vickers [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0011.jpg[/img] Those are the best pictures i can find now.

I had an interesting problem with my 7016 Sundstrand this last winter. When first started, the tractor would move for about 15 seconds then not move again until I let it sit for several hours. Then I could start it up and move it back to where it first came from, the garage. It ended up being the filter. At the time the temperature was so cold outside the transmission fluid (even the new stuff) was the consistancy of vaseline. So, I just filled the new "shorty" style filter with fluid, quickly spun off the old and spun on the new. I will change the fluid soon when it gets a little warmer here in Wales WI. but boy did that new filter make a difference. By the way the old transmission fluid was only two years old and as clean as new.

Thanks for the pics Graham,they just helped confirm the info from the rest of the guys. Not that I ever doubted there expertise!!

UCD - I have an "early" AC 716H w/ the "early" style hood and headlights and a Sunstrand. I have heard Sam say the Vickers were only on the earliest of the early, not all the early's .....

I am just going by the info in the manuals I have and dealer info from Simplicity. What is your MFG#? You also have to take into account that when things changed with Simplicity they did not necessarily change at the same time with Allis Chalmers. Some changes were made to Allis Chalmers before they were in Simplicity and visa versa. When comparing apples to oranges Simplicity and Allis Chalmers are like peaches and nectarines.

It looks like you already got your question answered. The Sundstrand is in fact more reliable than the Vickers!

Does a sunstrand bolt into a rearend that had a vickers in it? ie My 3314. If so, mght give me another option.

I believe that some of the early 7000 series hydro's were Vickers and some were Sundstrand. The parts manual for the #1690006 7016H shows a Sundstrand. Here's a link for another discussion on the subject: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23717