Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.PhixIt

Wonderboy Woes!!!!!

Mr.PhixIt
I have a Wonderboy that is mostly white. I don't know what year it is but it has a 5 hp horiziontal shaft Briggs engine. The engine is probably from the 70's. I just got it last year and didn't do much to it. It ran fine, but after the fuel tank got kind of low it would sputter and die. I took the carborator off and cleaned the bottom of it. It is one of the carburators that connects right to the fuel tank. It has i think two little tubes going into the tank. After i put the carb back on I started it up and it ran way too fast.[:0]:(! It was fine before. I don't know what i did.[:0]:( It is also hard to start. After you get it started it will run for about a half hour then quit and it can't be started until the next day. I hope you guys can help me. How do i get this fixed. I want to fix it myself. I am away right now so i don't have the engine number. Thanks to anyone that replies. MrPhixIt

maxtorman1234
Sorry I cant help, i have several briggs engines with the same carbs. No luck with any of them. Two 5's, two 3's and a tecumseah 3.5 all with bad/plugged carbs.

dogboy
Sounds like you have a "pulsa-jet"carb,i have one on my Simp.Sno-away,it has a diaphram fuel pump ,if the diaphram is going bad it will run but not very good,i think i paid about $4.00 for the new kit at the local mower shop.,the B&S repair book covers all different types,great investment.sounds ,also like it may be running lean--Hot,may be why it won't restart till it cools off,hard to say with out seeing it.

dogboy
One other thing, the pipes that go into the tank have screens that act as your fuel filters,they have to be in good shape and inside the pipes are check valves that can't be gummed up-these parts are delicate so go easy on them.

D-17_Dave
If you disasembled the carb, go back and mack sure you put the throtle shaft and linkage back like it was. If you removed the gov. linkage from the engine output shaft you will have to loosen the bolt, hold the throttle wide open and with a flat screwdriver turn the gov. output shaft all the way clockwise then tighten the locking bolt. This will sincronize the gov. with the throttle and it should work.Also check the gov. linkage and main sprong as it may be binding from improper instalation. Remember, if it was OK before, and you didn't take it loose, you should be able to eliminate this from the poss. list of problems. Hope this helps,Dave.

Mr.PhixIt
Thanks alot. This is a model 900 Wonder Boy. When I got it someone before me must have backed into a tree, the gas tank is all dented up and it was missing the fuel cap. Now the carb leaks too. It also has no air cleaner. (I am using another air cleaner from another engine.) I think it would just be simpler to replace the carb and gas tank in one swoop as there both in bad shape. Anyone know where I can get both the gas tank and carb hooked together, so I can just pop it on and not screw up anything else. Thanks alot, Mr.PhixIt