Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler carbs & feul pumps

maxtorman1234

Went to the dealer today, and asked about parts for the carbs. Find out they arent avaliable, so might need new carb. Costs $235 for a new one!! Then we asked about feul pumps. Only ones with "B" stamped on them are rebuildable. New pump costs $100[:0]:(! I was shocked. Looks like ill be switching carbs for a while.Are they this expensive everywhere?

I didnt think the fuel pump I bought last year was that expensive. It was for a 16 hp Kohler. You should be able to get it from any small engine dealer. the part isnt specific to Simplicity, so maybe you could shop around. Might try Silver Streak. I think the pump was around 50.00 though. Your dealer was right about the b stamp though. ddh

Another option, as to the fuel pump, is to use the "pulse" type pump, operated by crankcase vacuum. Make a blank cover for the original fuel pump out of 1/4" thick flat stock. Drill the center of the cover and tap for 1/8" pipe thread. Install the cover and screw one of the 90 degree fittings from the original fuel pump into the cover. That will supply the vacuum for the pulse pump, which can be purchased for about $25. What parts did you need for the carb that are no longer available? Overhaul kits were still available last fall, as were new bushing and shaft kits for the throttle and choke shafts. It's been five years since I purchased a Kohler carb (a new Walbro with the necessary adapters for conversion from the old Carter), and it was $95 at that time. Can't believe it has over doubled in price since then. Pat

Dont know how true it is since I dont have any to sell,:( but I been told the CC pullers are paying up to $150 for good used 16 hp kohler carbs around here because they are so hard to find.....