Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Touchy Neutral

I can't get a satisfactory neutral adjustment on my 7012H (1690352). When moving the control lever from forward into neutral, the tractor will continue to move forward. When moving the control lever from forward, past neutral, into reverse and then ease it back into neutral, the tractor will not move for a short time and then begin moving forward again. I suspect the problem may be internal since the problem remains even with the hydrostatic control lever operated manually with the linkage disconnected. Has anyone experienced this or have a suggestion? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Guest Jef
Make sure the trans is warmed up before ajusting. Do you have the manual for making the adjustment with the nuts on the cross-shaft? If centered here and it is still touchy I have elongated the control lever slot to allow more movement of the lever in the neutral position - as a matter of convenience. I think the quadrant is hardened so a file may not work but a "whizzer" wheel will. Also WD the linkages and pivots and grease up the roller cam and slot before adjusting - make sure nothing is hanging up.

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain the problem clearly. This is NOT a linkage problem. The problem remains with all linkage removed. Operating the hydrostatic trunnion lever without any linkage will not produce neutral, just forward or reverse.

FiremanRon
My Regent acts the same way. The center is so touchy, that if I put it in the neutral slot from forward, it creeps forward, and if from reverse, it creeps back. If I wiggle the lever in the slot, I can get the tractor to stop.

My 7117H does the same thing..No matter how much adjustment, cleaning, lubricating, and fiddling, finding neutral is an adventure... I have not tried it with linkage disconnected. However, it seems to act better directly after cleaning and lubrication, so I have always thought it was simply a linkage problem.

Thanks FiremanRon and JeffH for commenting. Apparently this problem is not unique to my machine. Now..... if someone will respond who has found the solution. I sent an e-mail to Eaton asking for help. If they say something other than, "our nearest service dealer is located at........," I'll post their answer. I believe these units have a swash plate that tilts one way for forward and tilts the other way for reverse. The trunnion (connected by linkage) accomplishes the tilt. No tilt is neutral. Once I worked on a unit designed like this (only much larger) in which the trunnion and shaft had worn to the point where you could not maintain zero tilt (sort of like standing a coin on edge). Replacement parts were very expensive, so I modified the housing and installed "centering" springs. That "fix" worked great. Maybe someone has discovered a similar work-around, or maybe there are already inexpensive springs in these units that have lost tension.