Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler K301 rebuild pics and questions!

AC808

This K301 felt as thouhg the connecting rod was broken, it was. The camshaft will need to be replaced, and possibly the crank. The only possible problem i see is that the skirt at the bottom of the cylinder (top of crank case) has about 20% fractured away. (not sure if you can see it in the pic) Will this make this motor non rebuildable? Or will the moving piston not care that there is some metal missing?

Also have some nice bits and pieces in the oil pan!

thanks guys!

IMO, I've never trusted a broken cyl.wall. You might be able to have it resleeved. Although with the crank, cam and other new parts that will be needed it may be time for a parts engine to have a doner.

Thats kinda what i was thinking Dave...I was looking forward to rebuilding this one...but Im thinking no..!

Dave is absolutely right! That fracture could go anywhere and you just can't tell with the naked eye. I would even be leary of a resleeve, too much work just to have it come apart again in another 50 hrs. or so.

Jay, I have a good K301 block with governor. If you are interested, I'll give it to your for $20 plus shipping from zip 56501. Dan PS my puter just burped so this may get posted twice, sorry.

Dave, If you can capture a picture of the broken cylinder skirt piece and place a quarter next to it for size reference, that'd be helpful. If it's about the size of quarter or so, and it was a clean break, then it should have little or no effect on the reliablility of the rebuild. After boring/honing, use a Dremel tool with stone to chamfer the sharp edges smooth. We used to rebuild many a K-series with this break from a thrown rod and never had any issues. Tom(PK)

I had the same thing happen to me on my A-C 916H. The engine is a Kohler K341 16HP. Fortunately the rod did not crack the block when it broke. The engine also burned oil pretty bad. I had the options of rebuilding it, shortblocking it, or just replacing the entire engine. I opted to just replace the entire engine with a 16HP Kohler Magnum engine which fit right in, but a few minor electrical alterations. The price of the shortblock was only about $300 less than a new engine. I really did not want to sink any money into the old engine if it was burning oil as bad as it was. Hope I helped you alittle and didn't ramble on too much.

Do you have the model number of the 16hp Kohler Magnum and where did you purchase it? I have a 716 6-speed that I purchased without and engine, assume that I do not need any of the parts from the missing engine to make the Magnum fit. Bob in Kokomo IN