Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear Counter Wt. creation

MPH

Thankyou Kent for having posted wts and thankyou Kirk for posting a pic of yours with a tape strung out next to it. Though simple to make it was nice to know length of oem and my wt was controlled by my iron at least I know I'm 10lbs light.

Learned I couldn't touch that roller steel with a drill bit so I welded a double nut on the end for a lockdown.

How much is shipping from Alaska to NYS? What do you mean, "If I have to ask...?" LOL. Now, not to split hairs, but with your locking lug arrangement, can't you run the collarweight further out, a la Rod's extendable counterweight idea, thereby "fine tuning" your effective poundage for the application, and possibly equalling the nonextended lifting effect of the original, heavier weight? Nice work!

You reminded me of a test I wanted to do Pete. I went out and put a tension spring scale on the lift handle, with the collar all the way in, it took 8.5 lbs to raise it, with the collar moved out 8 inches it took 12 lbs. My collar weighs 18.5 lbs.

Marty: Excellent test, and results. So an almost 1/3 variation in lift handle effort....hmmm. Wouldn't that mean an almost 1/3 variation in the lift's ability to...lift? Eureka! You've done it again, my man! The "Variable Gravity-powered Lift" or VGL, for short. Now if you had an even larger collar weight, (to slip over the first one, using all three weights at once) what implements could you lift that you couldn't before?

OK, I did the search and could not find the article where the weight and tape were together. I would love to know the dimensions for the rear counterweight.

Seems it was quite aways down in the achives John, if I remember I'll look for it tonight, getting near completion on my 58 inch grader blade and shortened hitch, just a coffee break for now..