Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pros and Cons needed

MPH

Scored me a chunk of grader blade like Herbs the other day,shipping would kill me on one of his, so I got started makeing a new hitch for it. The holes are 6 inch centers instead of 8 inch like my OEM grader blade, thus the new hitch plan. While studying my OEM, I noticed if I shorten the arms about 4 inches, centering the blade between fnt. and rear tires when straight, I could almost double the amount of angle at max angle. I'm thinking large trashy stuff, like tree roots and rocks, may side out better leaving more dirt behind. Seems to me Simplicity engineered these old machine pretty wisely, so I'm questioning my own thinking here. Any other thoughts before I cut up my iron??? Thanks

Only thing I can think of, too much angle may effect your steering ability. That may be a good thing though. You'd have to use less down pressure to be able to steer, thus leaving more dirt undisturbed and just moving the "trashy stuff" on top. ?? But with more angle do you still have enough blade length to clear the rear tire with the debris? Their engineering is good, but they engineered a grader blade. Your use is more heavy duty rake. It should work I think.

The chunk of blade I have is 7 foot Dan. Figure on making it at least 4 foot, depending on how the teeth work out in relation to the holes.

Thinking of the same thing, my self. I got my hands on a couple of cutting edge's from my Boss's plow. These are 8ft. Was going to make a few 48inch blades out of them. And see if any members in my area wanted one. I figured the heavy steel would be great. Just havent cut any yet. Elon