Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
stumpy

4041 found

stumpy
Hello all, Snuck off for ten days leave and decided to go visit my grandfather about an hour from Seattle. On my way to his house from the airfield I stopped by a Cub dealer (also used to work on Ford Fergusons...been there for forty years), since it was Sunday and a couple of guys were loading some cub bones on a flatbed. Thought they might know of any old AC parts around the area. Low and behold, there was a '73 4041 with a 60-inch deck sitting there. It's more or less complete, not banged up, but had a pretty good coat of rust throughout the tin work. He said it ran OK when parked, and that they had worked on it for a guy last year...new coil and carb and switches...then the guy said forget it, about the same time they noticed the Onan starter was loose and took actual effort to get to.....so there she sits. Full three-point hitch in the back, and the deck is mounted and not froze-up. Said he wanted $500 for it, but that I better decide pretty quick. Sound like a pretty good? I suppose parts are less than easy for her though, eh?....keeping in mind that they are rare as hen's teeth out here so the likelihood of finding a parts tractor for the 4041 would be about as good as finding one for my 112 or Gravely...and I've had no luck on either of those. Anything (beyond the miserable Onan) that I should really give a close look if I decide to go back? I've never poked around the 4041's or their AC counterparts before. If they have an endemic problem that could be a deal-breaker for me, so I'd sure appreciate a heads-up on possible ugly problems. Depending on the group reaction here, I might try to figure out how to sell a couple of other machines to make room for this one...it is a nice rig...a mighty niced rig. Thanks all

Leroy
Bob from the reading i have done here folks that have em love em. Powermax Paul has one or two i think. Is it closer to me in case you arn't interested.:) i think the parts are like hens teeth but then shipping is still available and Ebay works . And hour south for you would still be 4 hours north to me. A full 3 point hitch, does it also have a rear PTO?

MPH
For 500 buck Bob it be pretty hard to go wrong. As for parts, your 2000 miles closer then me, but it don't seem to affect them good people at Sandy Lake. First thing I would lookout for is gas in the oil if it still has OEM fuel pump, easy fix by going electric. If you can, might drop the pan from under the tractor and see how much oil and grim you find.

MN_FISH
I would grab it and if you think it is too much make a smaller offer. The parts are worth$$$ Hydro is around $300.00,3-point $300.00+ and if it has the high flotation tires they are worth$$$. Also if you get it running & the starter tightened up you'll have a great tractor!

iweld
GO. Go. Go! Hurry, before someone else beats you to it. Yes, you're going to spend at least that much getting it in good operating condition but they are nice tractors. check out my 9020 in my gallery. I gave more than 500 for the basket case it was 10+ years ago.

stumpy
Nope...I didn't get the thing....yet. Ended up having to go back to "work" the next day, but I'm just starting my off-time again. Gonna be working on the boat about twenty minutes from where the tractor is, so I'll try to get the skinny on it for sure. Doesn't look like I'll be getting it...just have too much going on in the foreseeable future. I'll confirm the $$$ and availability and get back to folks who are interested in it, eh?

glaucomyssabrinus
You could always buy it, fix it up for real, and then give it to me in exchange for my tranny-leaking, non-functional 3416 that you convinced me to buy last year.... :)

stumpy
Todd, Now now...your 3416 is truly an aesthetic beauty...and I did do it in the colors you requested[:0]...and it ran like a top...just like I promised^...'course, I never said it would move...har har har. Hmmmm....if someone out there wants a pretty B-112 with an HD front blade, 42" blower, and deck, and they've got six or seven c-notes (negotiable), then I might get this 4041..I have a Homesteader 8 with a front blade and a Gravely 432 rider with a deck that could disappear from my place too...otherwise, I just can't have that much tied up in a whole corps of smaller machines and projects of this nature...I know, it's blaspheme, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere. Soooooo....if no one in the PNW suddenly clamours for my B-112, H-8, or perhaps my Gravely 432 rider and deck, the 4041 will fall to Todd...whose wife would kill him, so it then falls to Jason (schaefer72), who managed to express interest in the machine exactly 7 and a half minutes before Leroy did, who is third in line relative to expressed interest (gotta be fair). Of course, this all depends on the info being correct...which I will attempt to confirm in the immediate future.

Leroy
I duuno why the unit is still available. If your wondering if "i am interested" is correct, It is. However i didn't see anyone post before i did with respect to interest. I'm not questioning how the numbers fell the way they have. But i would like to know more about the 4041's running condition. paint is not important to me. minor suface rust is no biggie. If it is low on fluids or is leaking anything or burning more than just fuel i would like to know that. But why is it still available, is the real puzzle.

Leroy
Bob I guess i'm not interested in the 4041 any more. The deal has taken to long and the suspense is to much. So thanks for including me in your count down, but i'm out of it now.