Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New guy here, needing info.

hulkerbts

First of all, hello to all.I was directed here from another forum and am needing some info on a Deutz-Allis 1914 lawn tractor.I have found one for $400 bucks runs good,is in pretty good shape actually.I have found information on the 1918 & 1920 on this site but nothing on the 1914.Has anyone here had one or know someone who has?If so how reliable are they, oh and it has 600 hrs. on the meter.This will be my first larger mower coming from using a small MTD yard machine aquired from Lowe's a few years back. It seems from what i have found that all the 1900 series were the same except for the enigine came in 14,18,and 20.Seems like a real solid mower.I know a little about lawn tractors but never have and never will claim to be an expert.Anyway enough rambling my question is does anyone have anymore information or opinions on this tractor is it a good deal at $400 or a bad investment.thanks in advance.Oh and i forgot to mention it is an Ultima.

Here is a link to a thread from 1999 about the Deutz-Allis 1914. Not really a lot of info but it does ID the Simplicity equivalent so you can search from there. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=807&SearchTerms=Deutz-Allis,1914 Dan PS - Welcome to the site. This is the best site for Simplicity Allis Chalmer tractor info.

JC, welcome to the club. Hope you find all the info you need. As for a good deal, if everything checks out OK, That don't sound too bad. If the engine is an issue being a 14 then you could always upgrade to a bigger engine later.

Thanks for the replys, the 14 horse isn't an issue with me, not yet anyway.From the link provided by ironpony i have noticed there is no (sagging) of the front end.I am actually kinda excited about the purchase because it seems really well made, and is my first larger heavier frame tractor.My father had an old Power King that was big and i mowed with it a couple of times and alot of friends and family have larger more durable tractors.Again thank you for the welcomes and the responces, anymore opinions are welcome.

Anything made by Simplicity or Allis is heavy duty.Cant go wrong for $400.00.Welcome to the best tractor site anywhere.

Welcome! I have a 1920H and a Sunstar 20GTH (same tractor) and my son has a 1918H all have been good tractors. These tractors ar real work horses. Mine takes a real beating in all four seasons and has 550 trouble free hours on it (knock wood). For that kind of money I'd say it is a real deal, even if you had to do some work on it. Just my opinion but I"d be all over it.

The 1914 if it is still the original engine, should have a 14HP Kohler "Magnum" (M14) single cylinder engine in it. These engines are made of cast iron construction, like the K-series. In fact they are actually an updated version of the Kohler K-Series. Same block as well as many other parts, just a different ignition system and sheet metal. The tractor should either have a 42" or a 48" mower deck.The transmission should have a Peerless with a Sundstrand Hydro pump bolted to it. One of the best garden tractor transmissions out there, in my opinion. These tractors are just as reliable, if not more, as the Allis 900 Series or the Simplicity Sovereign type tractors.I think you got one heck of a deal. Would love to see a picture of it!

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my post.I am feeling really good about my purchase.I am going over it with a fine tooth comb right now getting ready for the first mow of the year.So far everything is looking pretty good,just had to get some tires for it yesterday the ones on it are a little dry rotted.Going to change the oil,check the belts, and sharpen the blades this weekend.I'll try and get a pic of it tomorrow and post it Friday.And yes it is the original engine.