Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstrand transaxle adj.

D-17_Dave

Not too familiar with these and I'm looking for the adj. for the limitted slip. It's got awfull wheel spin.

Only way that I know to tighten a newer diff is to put shim washers under the springs to increase the frictional force. I did this on one of mine and it worked great.

It's on a 7112 that I'm getting into shape for a local church. It was donated to them and I voluntered to go over it and give it a good serviceing. It now runs out very well, but the wheel spin has me a little conserned as they have the same type of bank by the road that I do at home. Thats why I have the ags and weights on my HB212. I let them use it last sat. and the only ? I got was would their's mow that good and handle the bank. I could answer one of the ? What springs do I load to help this? I thought they kept the nylone adjustment till I saw this Hydro. Thanks for the help in advance as I ain't up on these RBT's like I am Ol Bessy. Of coarse I have recently got a good education on a few POWERMAXS.lol

Dave, All the adjustments are in the large frame tractor manual. The 7112 may need wheel weights and ww fluid to get the stability of your HB212. I have wheel weights on oall my tractors.

Dave, The shiming of the springs is not a factory fix. It is just something I did and it works. On the later model diffs, each spyder gear has a spring that pushes the gear against the side of the diff. The combination of the friction of all of those gears is supposed to produce a limited slip effect. Like the diff on my AC716H, the limited slip isn't much. Been stuck with one wheel spinning several times on that machine. On the late model diff that I have installed in my 61 Wards, I went to the hardware store and found a washer size that would fit over the shaft that the spring is on. By placing a washer behind each spring, the total frictional force is increased very significantly. In fact the limited slip is so tight on that one that I can tighten the lug nuts with one wheel off the ground. It has never left me stuck with one wheel spinning. It will still turn a very tight turn without sliding a rear wheel.

Rod, that soundslike a good fix. Do you think the extra force will be too much against the housing and cause it to wear through? I have another 7016H that I might try it out on before I do that to the 7112 for the church. Wouldn't want to do something that would later come back to haunt me on that one. Thanks, dave.

Dave, I did this about 15 years ago for tractor pulling. I have not taken the diff apart since then, but then I have had no problems that would require a disassembly. It is still working fine. There is really nothing to cause wear, since the only time these gears turn is when the tractor is making a turn, or spinning one wheel. The spider gears do not move at all when the tractor is going straight, and really don't move much even when it is turning.