Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
MPH

New Grader blade Done Test Results in

MPH
Will admit it was a challege and I feel satisfied, but I been enjoying fabbin with iron. Haven't done much since high school til I got into these old tractors. Made the hitch 4 inches shorter so I can get 17.5 or 35 degree angle on the blade. Will the shaarper angle be woth anything useful? Got a least a month to wait to find that out. Only 3/8's plate steel I have around, getting almost proud of myself with the fire wrench.

Finished parts

Waitting for the paint to dry before I mount it and go 'play' Well, guess I should be disappointed as it didn't remove the white concrete from my driveway, but, them state boys don't seem too effective at removing hardpack from the roads either. The little windrows are from fresh snow shower this morning.

Because of the hitch being 4 inches shorter I had to make a special lift lever. The angle piece I cut off, caulk white, I welded on as a support wedge.

Put together

mounted on the Landlord

Herb, I didn't need the offset because the holes in my blade are 1 5/8 from the top instead of 2 inches like my oem. Least I think thats what your talking about.

KSever
Looks really good Marty, Much better than I can do. Gotta agree with ya about the metal working. I haven't done much since High school either till I got into these old tractors and my ol truck but I really enjoy it, especially since I have the right tools. Been spending most of my time these last few weeks rebuilding the ol Chevy truck (new rockers and new floor metal panels).

BigSix
Marty: Nice work! What are you welding with? I couldn't help but notice the snow--how cold is it there? A couple of winters ago I did many days outside welding up some I-beams for under my cottage, and it was consistently 17 deg. F., yet it wasn't that bad. I found that the iron work keeps you moving enough to stay warm without a lot of extra clothes. Think I had uninsulated coveralls and a sweatshirt underneath. Have you experimented much with those thin cutting discs I was goin' on about, for cutting the stock? Not as glamorous, perhaps, but my cuts come out straighter than when I firewrench it, at least on the flatstock. You're a fabbin' machine lately, huh? Peter

MPH
Ray, that is my blade. I left it 54.5 inches long to make sure it'll clear the 10.5 Ag tires when I put them back on the B-112 at 35 degrees angle. Pete, I have no idea what that old welder is I was given about 3 years ago. Heavy as all getout. Gotta unplug the stingger lead to change amps 20 at a time. Seems to weld good with 6013, 7014 I have a hard time gettin going. It was 52 above today, but it started out at -5 at 6:30 this morning, makes for slow melting. I do all my cutting and welding outside because the shop is attached to the house and iron working is dirty ya know. Used one of them discs yesterday, first weld on the hitch I got carried away, sometimes I forget to tack it, check it, then weld it, OOPs. Don't think it would have done too good on that 3/8's plate, and I spoiled myself and bought a chop saw for anything that'll fit in it, went through that grader blade good.

BigSix
Nice. A chop saw, huh? I guess I wouldn't be so jazzed about those discs if I had a chop saw. Food for thought.... That's a wild amount of temp. variation. -5 F at 6:30am, and 52 later? I don't need an excuse to sleep in,8D but if I did, that'd do it for me--lol! I'd rather work late as it gets colder, at night. At least that way I'm not dealing with my dislike of mornings and the cold, all at once. To each his own.

Bunky
Looks great.. I really enjoy Fabricating myself... just don't get enough time to build the things I want.... And I'm not the greatest so i have to get help from my Dad and uncle...

Dutch
Marty, Nice looking job........... I notice you didn't make an offset blade bracket. I think you'll find it is not needed and that you'll have plenty of lift without it. Let us know. Also, once you start using that serrated blade I think you'll find that angling is not needed as much as if the blade was solid. It should gather debris without loading with soil. At least that is my experience. Let us know what you find.