Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pan Seat repair idea on a 2110

TomMaryland

Hey guys, I think I might have a way to repair the vinyl on my 2110's pan seat. I got one of those seat covers from ebay, and some wire reinforced edge trim from McMasterCarr. I was thinking of smaching down the edge bead on the seat, using the cover as new vinyl (cut down to size) glued in place over the lip. then press the edge trim in place over the vinyl and bead and viola! The original foam is still in good shape, by the way, and the pan is very good. The only other thing as I see it is a pan from Northern. What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if it would be possible to pry up the original rolled edge? Mike

On my AC712 I used a replacement vinyl seat and foam rubber from a place called MAC's Hardware. They are a cross between a surplus store and a hardware store. I think it is a small chain here in MN and ND around Fargo. It cost me under $15 and I used the original pan and bead strip over. Took me to two trips to MAC's to get the right size. Doesen't sound like much but the store is in FARGO and I live 65 miles North East in MN. LOL. Dan

That does sound like a good Idea I have my mother inlaw working on making me a replacement cover for my pan seat...

It is possible to pry the flange up. Its allot of work let me tell you,and then I couldn't get the material back in and get the flange down to make a decent job. I gave up on it but will try your way next.

Thanks guys. I tried getting that flange up to no avail, can be done but geez! I'll post some pics when it happens. If fact, I'm going to NAPA tonight to color match paint!

I've done the flange thing with seat and had very little trouble with it. I think that doing the seat by reopening the flange make the seat look a lot closer to original. Just my 2c.

I have also opened the flange and recovered those seats. An old screwdriver sharpened like a wood chisel. Hammer it into the flange and pry open slightly. Use a larger screwdriver in the opening and twist to open, working your way around the entire pan. Don't open any more than necessary to get the material inside. I use a fine round file, like a chainsaw file and dress the inside and outside of the flange lip to remove any sharp edges caused by opening the flange. I put 1" wide masking tape around the edge of the cover, so about 1/8" to 1/4" of the masking tape is crimped in with the upholstery. I re-crimp the edge with a vice grip or large channel lock pliers that have masking tape around the jaws. I cover the upholstery with newspaper, taped to the masking tape already applied, but about 1/4" away from the crimp. Paint the seat pan. When dry, remove the newspaper and masking tape. You will need to work a small section at a time to tear of the "crimped in" masking tape to have it tear at the crimp so it doesn't show. Pat

Patrick, You have put together what seems to be a great plan for redoing my seats. I truly appreciate it. For some of the high back seats ( I have a variety of machines) where can we get the beading that goes around the edge?

John, I think thats the stuff I just got from McMasterCarr. Do a search on their site for edge trim.

Tom, It's just like what Pat said the only thing that I did differently was to use a cold chisel instead of a screwdriver. Oh yeah I had the seat pan sandblasted 1st. If I'm not mistaken there's a pic of my LL's seat on my gallery. Good luck! Thanks Pat, you just saved me a bunch of typing! LOL