Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ENGINE INTERCHANGE

Kokomo

I am new to restoring AC/Simplicity garden tractors. I recently purchased an AC 716 on ebay; complete except for the engine and adapter from the engine to drive shaft. Is there such a thing as an ENGINE INTERCHANGE MANUAL for AC/Simplicity garden tractors. It is my understanding that this tractor originally had a Kohler K341 engine. I assume a 12hp-K301, a 14hp-K321 or a 10hp horizontal Kohler from any AC/Simplicity will work. Of course I do not have a spec. no. and I am not sure it would help if I did. I have a 12.5 vertical shaft B/S Vanguard. Is it practical to change it to it to horizontal shaft and install it in a 716? I have searched the old topics and find nothing. Bob

Any kohler k series engine will work, you will either have to switch the oil pan, or drill holes for the plugs:D. I have done this to 2 different tractors, and now they will accept any K series kohler that a/c used.

With a little work,and ingenuity,almost any horizontal shaft engine can be made to work. I've got a newer Briggs 11HP in my 3410,when 2 dealers told me to junk the tractor,it couldn't have a different engine installed. I don't think you can make the Vanguard work horizontally.

I don't belive there is a manual regarding engine swapping but I know you'll have to use an engine that is already a horizontal shaft. Kohler will work fine but a cast iron Briggs will work too with some wiring and driveshaft modifications. If this tractor has a hydrostatic transmission you will probably want at least a 12HP motor because they say the hydro takes 2 HP away from the engine, but if youre not going to be running pto attachments like a mower, I guess a 10 HP would be enough.

I have a 10 Hp B/S mounted on my AC716H. It works fine. Drives a 48 inch mower and I recently mounted a 36 inch snow blower. It does not appear to be underpowered with either. I'm sure you could work a little faster with 16 Hp, but I'm in no hurry because when I'm on the tractor, that is where I want to be.

My tractor is a six speed 716, my son has a JD 210 with a horizontal engine. I assume this is a 10hp kohler. I have not seen it yet, does anyone have any ideas about this engine mounting up to 716 without modification? Bob in Kokomo

It should, depending on the oil pan. It shouldnt be too much work, as long as it isnt a type "a" pan.

There seem to be plenty of K series engines around. I would wait until I could find one that would bolt right in. I found a K341 for only $300 on eBay. It is now in my AC712S and running great. It was originaly powering a start-all unit for heavy equipment and trucks. I have seen several of these units on eBay and it looks like no one knows what they are. I watched the seller let his auction run out with no bids then emailed him with an offer. Good Luck - Dan

Bob, Yes I am. The 10, 12, 14 and 16 horse - K241, 301, 321 and 341 respectively will all bolt right in. Had only 2 problems to overcome when I repowered my AC712 with a K341/16 horse power. The engine I bought (K341, 16hp) used power from an outside source to operate the starter. (it was mounted in a pickup truck and used the truck battery to power the starter). I had to trade the flywheel off for the one on my oil burning K301 and use the stater with it. For access to the oil drain plug I had to trade oil pans also. Most of the parts on the K series interchange. There are some that don't and most of them have to do with the 16, K341. Some other tractor manufactures used a different oil pan that will NOT bolt right in an AC or Simplicity. I am NOT an expert but there are some experts here in the club. Good Luck. Dan PS - I repowered with the 16 horse replacing a 12 horse only because that was the engine I found at a price I could afford, not because I wanted more horse power.