Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Latest find...should i get it?

AC808

Today I stopped at the local non-Simplicity dealer to look at some used AC/Sim attachments in the back shed...on the way back there the old gentleman said, "wouldnt be interested in an old AC with a bad motor?" 'Hmmmm." was my quick reply. "Its from the early 80s." he said... SO...got to the shed...there it was ...An AC 912 Hydro w/ mechanical lift. Appeared to be in quite nice conditon. The engine had been rebuilt poorly and when it was on its last leg it was traded in on one of those green and yellow tractors. The engine is currently in pieces in a box. Its a Kohler K301 that needs a crank and to have the cylinder redone. I happen ot have that particular crank! What do you all think...Would i be better off to rebuild the K301 or install a 10 or 12hp B&S? Oh yeah...the best part...I can have it for $200!

BRIGGS,BRIGGS AND BRIGGS.it would be nice to find a 16 hp single cylinder but they are hard to find and expensive.10 hp briggs are all over the place.even 12 hp are tough to find.

I would put a 12 or 16 HP Briggs in it if I were doing it, just finished putting a 12HP Briggs in a 912H, pretty simple change over.....

The briggs is kinda what im thinking...Theyre everywhere...Although i dont see too many 12hp around... Guess ill have to keep looking..maybe a small Diesel will show up!

Just happen to have a 12hp briggs that I was going to put up for sale next week. model 300421 type 0127, I have a new air filter and a used cover on the way for it, then it will be complete. Had it running just the other day, it purred like a kitten. PM me if you happen to be interested.

Sounds like a good deal,Jay.I guess my 917 is safe now!;) Put a VW engine in it like we talked about......:D

:-) yes it is Kenny... I thought about the VW idea...i have 3 of them sitting here...Im sure i could make it fit.