Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Value of 75th aniversary Soverign ?

arnoldir

A dealer in VA has one on ebay with an opening bid of $4500. Machine is fresh out of the crate, never mowed grass, 2 year warranty starts upon delivery. Sounds tempting, does this seem like a fair price ? Looking forward to your comments.

arnold Last winter i pais $6,300 for a NOS sovereign w/ps hyd lift ect, i think the anniversary edition has PS (not sure) from my point of view 4500 is worth it if you want new. If you dont mind used i have seen 2-3 yr old sovereigns going for 2-3 thousand, so i guess it all depends on if you have to have new as did (then) good luck

arnoldir, There is a dealer here that still has a NOS 75th and a NOS Soveriegn for sale. Both w/ new warranty upon purchase. He has told me he would ship them. I think $5600 for the regular Soveriegn, don't remember the price of the 75th Anniversary model. If anyone is interested, the dealer is Merkamp Sales, 765-962-2048, ask for Dave and tell him I sent you. Brent

Dealer here has two in stock. One on the showroom floor (deck is still crated), and another crated unit. He offered the pair to me, last year, for $9,000 (or $5300 for one). I seriously considered it, but finally decided that it would be no more than a showpiece for me. I wouldn't have the heart (guts?) to put something like that to use. Pat

quote:
Originally posted by roma3112
arnold Last winter i pais $6,300 for a NOS sovereign w/ps hyd lift ect, i think the anniversary edition has PS (not sure) from my point of view 4500 is worth it if you want new. If you dont mind used i have seen 2-3 yr old sovereigns going for 2-3 thousand, so i guess it all depends on if you have to have new as did (then) good luck
The problem is the Kohler TH-18 OHC engine. Unless the dealer and Simplicity replace the engine you will be stuck with a lot of money in a new tractor with a bad engine. I think this is why we have seen late model Sovereigns priced so low. $2 to 3k for the tractor and then another $2k to replace the engine. But, if you can replace the engine for less then you a way to have a good tractor for not much money. My viewpoint,

Thants definately a better deal than the $4000 for John deere junk i've seen. Just curious, will a single cylinder k341 fit in one of those too? Thans,

Thanks guys, And big thanks to Roy for pointing out that the tractor has the problematic engine. Are the TC-18 engines all time bombs ? I am planning on actually cutting grass with it. I'd better search out the subject.

I just did google searches for Kohler TH-18 OHC +problem Kohler TH-18 OHC +failure Kohler TH-18 OHC +bad and found nothing related to problems with this engine. Roy, can you give details? Have you had bad experiences?

quote:
Originally posted by arnoldir
I am planning on actually cutting grass with it.
Roger, If you're interested in the Anniversary Sovereign for it's collector value, that's one thing. But if you want a tractor to mow grass, check out and demo modern design tractors. The Sovereigns are great tractors that can perform many chores in addition to mowing. Many attachments are readily available and affordable. IMO Sovereigns are over-kill for just mowing. Sovereign tractors are built on a 40 year old design. IMO for simply mowing grass, Sovereigns can't compare with the new technology tractors. A Conquest can be bought for $4500.

Hey Guys, Checked the thread from back in Feb on the TH-18 and I now understand what the issues are. To Dutch, I agree that it's overkill for just cutting grass. With that said, it's really about the cool factor. I'd be spending at least $4500 on anything new, so I might as well get the extra smiles per gallon with the Tim Taylor special (aruhh!). The seller and I have struck a deal for the asking price, and was already headed to NJ on Sunday with an empty trailer so I only have to drive 2 hours instead of 7 to pick it up. I'll post photos once I get her home.