Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Axle hub

RenegadeJ

Well, finally got around to putting the axle seal in the B-112 today. Unable to get the hub off the axle so was necessary to remove the entire axle. The hub will turn about 1/4 inch on the axle shaft but cannot get it off. Applied lots of heat with the smoke wrench while I had it in an eight ton press. Still no luck. Ended up just changing axles from another transmission. Anyone ever have a hub that is this stubborn. I am begining to think there might be part of the set screw broken off down in the hole. But it will move back and forth about one quarter inch. Oh well, Its fixed and running again.

Working on that right now myself. The point is broken of the setscrew on my HB-212. Just past the threads so I can't drill it out, it just spins with the bit. But there's enough left on it that I can't remove the hub. Suggestions anyone? Pat

That a tough one Pat. How about drilling through from the other side? Kinda hoping pushing outward on it might stop it from spinning.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
That a tough one Pat. How about drilling through from the other side? Kinda hoping pushing outward on it might stop it from spinning.
I'd have to drill completely through the axle to try that. May be a possibility though. I could simply run a bolt all the way through when done, instead of the pointed set screw. Been thinking about putting a dab of JB Weld on the end of a brazing rod to see if I can glue the tip to the rod well enough to work the broken piece out at least far enough to remove the hub. Pat

Couple of suggestions: Weld the hub to the axle and don't worry about the set screw tip. That is what I did. See if a machine shop can EDM the tip out. I like the JB Weld idea. It might work. I would be afraid to drill through the axle. Think it would weaken it too much. My thoughts,

If you have an arc welder you can carefully position the welding rod down the center of the hole then touch it to the broken off part to make it stick just like a rod will stick when you are trying to start a weld. Release the rod from the holder since it is now tack welded to the broken off set screw. Hopefully you can then turn it and screw it back through the threaded hole.

JB weld is interesting idea. Drilling though then bolting it is how I fixed the steering gear on the Landlord, used a grade 8, 1/4 inch bolt long enough to have solid shank all the way then cut off the extra tread. Rod, like that idea. Would you stick the rod in first then touch the end of rod with the holder? Maybe stick rod in holder down the hole then flip the switch on and off. Seems if you tried to stick the rod down a 1/4 inch hole its gonna ark on the way down.

Try and turn the hub causing the broiken part to be jammed.Drill the broken part out.By being jammed the drill should got through it or you can put a puller on it to jam the broken bolt.It has worked for me in the past.Bob

MPH, I would use a 7014 rod which has a thick flux to act as an insulator from the threads. It will only arc at the rod, not through the flux. If you have a helper, then place the rod in the hole, nearly touching the broken piece and then have the helper flip the switch on the welder. All you then have to do is push the rod directly into the broken piece. It will stick!!