Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC B10 Ballast Resistor question........

LesH

On my AC B10 I had the voltage regulator (3 post rectangular box style) off to clean the terminals and then I dropped it onto a concrete floor!!! Well, I broke off one of the ballast resistors on the back-- the ceramic rod also.... Does anyone know what they do?? Or can anyone advise me on how to repair?? Also, does anyone have a cross reference #/ brand list on these regulators?? I should have left well enough alone..... Thanks.

Those shunt resistors are on the regulator to prevent burning of the contact points on the relays as they open and close. The regulator will work without them, but only for a short time before the contacts burn. I also broke one of those recently. One end came loose from the chassis and the ceramic broke in the middle. Wire was still intact. I carefully re-positioned the pieces into alignment and re-attached the end of the resistor with an oxy-acetylene welder and a small welding tip. Haven't hooked it up to try it yet. Check out this site http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2389837890&category=50366 Go to the sellers catalog. He has several voltage regulators listed with part numbers that they replace.

• 2 weeks later...
Try to find a Wells part number VR605. I found mine at Parts America a few years ago. They may still have them. Don't forget to polarize the regulator when you install it or it won't work right (the instructions how to do this are in the box). I think it cost me about $20 - a lot cheaper than anybody else. Good luck.

here is what i found http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=WEL&MfrPartNumber=VR605

• 2 months later...
Been having a problem with my voltage regultor (3 tab) on my Landlord 101. I hooked up the generator wire to the regulator. the wire end at the regulator started to smoke and fell off. the copper coil inside turned black. Could it be that the regulator is no good or do I have a short some where in the wiring or possibly a short in the starter/generator? I've got one of my neighbors who is an old mechanic stumpted.

Nick, Go to SimpletrActors/Service/Electrical systems, and read Al Eden's articles on the electrical systems on these tractors. It should tell you how to diagnose the cause of these problems. Les, I think it was 70 ohm, and about 5 watts. The regulator will work without them, but not for too long. The resistors are there to prevent severe arcing and damage to the contacts inside the regulator as they open and close. Read the articles mentioned above it will be explained.

quote:
Originally posted by TomW
Try to find a Wells part number VR605. I found mine at Parts America a few years ago. They may still have them. Don't forget to polarize the regulator when you install it or it won't work right (the instructions how to do this are in the box). I think it cost me about $20 - a lot cheaper than anybody else. Good luck.
Just picked up this one this afternoon from Advance Auto (formerly known as Parts America)for $20.00. every thing matches up from this one to the old one. I'll let you know how the installation went. Rod, I read it and turns out one of the field coils is bad. So is the other one for the B-110. Thank You.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Nick, Check the black regulator coil also. Sounds to me like it is fried. Good luck,
Yep that's fried to. We hooked up the new one and it works fine. We started and it runs. Except the carb is flooding & dripping out of the bottom hole. Just waiting for my carb kit from Foley-Belsaw since it's on back order.