Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Historic Occasion

BruceH

Hi all, Today is a historic day. I, in a ceremony befitting the occasion and wearing my AC hat and shirt, removed the 26-year-old drive belt from my B12 Allis-Chalmers. I then slide a new OEM belt out of the sleeve package and placed it on the very pulleys from which the 26-year-old belt had just been removed. The question now is do I mount the old belt on a plaque and hang it in a prominent spot in the house or do I use it for a tiller drive belt, being that the tiller takes the same belt. My wife of coarse prefers the later. I ask you what is the appropriate thing to do when retiring such a famous and award winning belt. Tim

->Tim ole pal and Friend, I'm deeply saddened to hear that you appearently replaced a perfectly good belt that has served you for the last 26 years. The reason I say a perfectly good belt is you mentioned useing it on of all things a tiller. And just to think that you would use it on a tiller of all things is just plain cruel. You replaced it with a brand new belt when appearently it still was able to keep on working at its present job of serveing not only its boss the tractor but providing you the link to move your tractor from place to place. And the thought of having it the belt mounted on a peice of wood is just-well not even giving the belt any credit at all its just another degradeing thing as people will just look at the belt as a conversation belt. I'm very disapointed in this whole thing and I just can't imagine how your belt feels about all of this. I think you should just degrade your belt somemore and just hang it out in your shed and spit on it each and everytime you place by it. Why don't you just retire the dear pulleys while your at it like you did the belt as then you could spit on them also. Why don't you just retire your tractor while your at it and hang it from a tree in your yard so people with green&yellow tractors can throw stones and laugh at it to. I personally feel you should at the very least take it out and shoot it just to put it out of its misery and end its suffering and give it a desent burial as it will not have to watch a brand new belt do the same work it did for 26 devoted years. SHAME-SHAME- on "YOU TIM with your AC hat and tee shirt on even while this was taking place. This is not a historic day nor a day for a ceremony it is a day to put that devoted belt back on the tractor where it belongs. And then the day that the belt no longer can fuction because it is broken then it will be a day for celebrating as then it will of lived out its full life doing what it knows and has done all of its life. Ole pal "TIM" I know this must of just been a confusing day for you not knowing what would be the best thing to do. But I know you will do the write thing and put the belt back on your tractor and let it finish its history making duties on your tractor.-->not so happyjack<--

Jack old buddy and philosopher, You waxed most eloquently in support of the BELT. I have spoken to the BELT and it would like a short rest from the day-to-day drudgery of turning the pulleys and propelling the B12, which it has done faithfully for so many years. I have promised the BELT that when the B14 is completed and ready to take its place with the B12 and B112, the BELT will, be the belt that turns it's pulleys to transfer the awesome power of the Briggs 14hp engine to it's wheels, as it emerges from the dark garage into the dawn of a bright new day. ----------wait----who are those people in the white coats----------make them go away-------I'm not crazy-------I don't want to go back there----I tell you I'm not crazy-----------------the belt can talk--------just ask the tractor---------------I am NOT crazy----------no stop-----I don't want to go------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you should cut the belt, attach a nice buckle to it (I have a Simplicity one you can use) and wear it around your trousers so that you and the belt can remain friends. Or at least take a picture and have Kent post it as the "Oldest Living Belt Contest Winner" for all the world to see.

Tim, very good expose! You need some kinda literary award! What a card! What say Mr. Fred? dlc

->But after the way the belt was treated after all of these years of service I feel Tim should have to wait until it breaks on its own. And your idea of then making him wear the belt would be a continueous reminder of how cruel he actually was to his belt of 26 years. And the belt buckle its just the frosting on the cake as they say then everyone would know just how great Simplicity belts really are. Just another thought. Great Idea "Jeff"->happyjack-jackl<-

Simplicity dosen't make the belts, they vend it out to Cos. like Gates or Dayco or Goodyear etc. So if you make a "belt" out of it Tim you have to give them credit, whoever made Sim belts 26 yrs ago?? as well as our illustrious Sim Co. for selling it to you!!REGARDS, dlc

Here Here Tim - well said! The Champ retires as THE UNDEFEATED CHAMP! Served you well all those years and never let you down - not thats a memory to remember. Now how about that picture - or maybe you could sell tickets or go on tour.... :)

-->Ok retire that belt and lets just get it over with. The belts been used long enough-and besides Jeff 's suggestion of making a belt out of it to where around your waist sounds like a good idea to me. And besides after 26years of use just maybe its worth showing off. Go for it Tim->jackl

Jack, I removed the BELT at its request, it really does talk. When compared to the new belt, better that 1/3 of the belt is worn off. If it wasn't for keeping the clutch adjusted it probably wouldn't have lasted so long, I had to do some major clutch adjustment to get the new belt to disengage. Tim

But was not the belt made to Simplicity spec.? So if someone gives me the blue prints for building a belt do I get the credit for building it or does the credit go to the person that designed it and telling me how they wanted it built? And then if the belt last 26 years does the operator of the tractor get credit for not abuseing it or does the manufacture of the tractor get the credit for designing a good tractor thats not hard on belts. Regardless we somehow have gotten off of the subject of a belt being abused my its owner as it was still able to do its job but retired as a- just- because someone wanted a 26 year old belt to hang on a board to be displayed for a conversation peice. Besides didn't the belt have Simplicity written on it? Just somemore food for thought on a perfectly "GREAT" day. So everyone where ever you are have and enjoy this fantistic spring day. A just for fun chat on our forum that Kent provided us. ->jackl-very happyjack today<-and having fun while I'm at it<->(:)

Jack old buddy, I don't think you have seriously considered the BELT's feelings. How would it feel if it started to slip and no longer could perform as it did in it's youth, retiring a failure. Or worse yet break leaving it's boss the tractor sitting there in the yard unable to move and falling under the ridicule of the green tractors. I don't want the belt to retire a failure with all it's fame over shadowed by it's shame. Does it not now deserve a time to rest and reflect back on it's glory days. And that is the last I have to say on the subject. Tim

"Sir Sgt. Polo reports you have a second this motion."
yes the belt has serve Tim well. "Ready Arms(salute)","Order Huh"
A manzona mt. salute to you Tim and of course the BELT. tpolomczak or aka tp

->TO ALL MEMBERS<-After all of the discussion concerning "TIM'S 26 year old belt and finding no other evidence that any other member or member's have or have not had a belt of 26 years of age or older perform in any way shape or form like "TIM'S" belt did. Also upon reveiwing all of the replys not one member came forward to counterdict any or all statements pertaining to the belt. I should not need to express to all members the importance a rare occoasion the retirement of such a important part of any Simplicity Tractor represents. I also would like to at this time acknowlege "TIM'S" up most devotion to not only the care of his tractor but of the drive belt at issue here before us today. Therefore I would like to at this time be the first member to suggest that "MAY 5TH 1999 be a "HONORARY-HISTORIC-DAY" for "TIM'S" 26 year old "BELT". Also I would like to suggest that a picture of "TIM'S belt be turned over to our founder "KENT" so as it may be displayed in the gallery section for all to see and admire. Let this be an example to all of us to follow what "TIM" has truely accomplished over a 26 year period. May I have another member-second this motion? Thanks to all "MEMBERS and MOST of ALL "OLE PAL TIM" for this "HONORARY-HISTORIC-OCCASAION"-->jackl-happyjack<-->P.S.->any other comments welcome<-

Hi Tim:

I want to compliment you on the follow quote:

"I don't want the belt to retire a failure with all it's fame over shadowed by it's shame."

I hope this is your original quote, its great.

Del