Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What brand spark plugs do you use?

hulkerbts

Trying to decide what brand spark plug to use on the Deutz 1914 I mentioned in an earlier post.What do you guys use in yours?I am thinking of going with NGK but was wondering what was popular with you guys.Everyone here seems to know what they are talking about so I value your opinions.Thanks in advance.

I tried Bosch plugs,recommened by one of my local mower shops,and went back to Champions,less expensive and better spark,better starts and less affected by fouling.

I use SplitFire Platinum plugs only. Just like the TV ad says I gained 5 extra HP by only installing the Splitfires. So now my 10HP Briggs is like 15 HP, and I can totally "feel the difference" also noticed better fuel economy. ;)

I would like to see proof of that on a dyno. I use to sell Split fire plugs. To gain 50%hp you would have to change the carberation, valve timeing, compresssion ratio, etc.

I use Autolight in my 1920 Deutz-Allis, Haven't tried anything else in it. I've never had any problems with them either.

I can tell by Ryan's smile how he turns his grass green:D. I run champions and don't have any problems, except in the B-112 with fouling, but I need to add oil with every one gallon gas fill up. Know a spark plug ain't gona fix that problem

I've tried some other brands, but continue to have the most consistant results with Champions. Seems hard to get the heat range right when switching brands. By the way, don't ever buy a Prestolite spark plug, even if a small engine shop does recommend it. I bought one that didn't last two hours of operation. I will never buy another of those plugs and will not use that small engine shop again.

Thanks Maynard. Seeing how its kinda late in the winter too tear the 112 down, may have to try that for the summer. Though, looking outside the last two mornings, maybe its not too late, just been snowin and blowin like I live in the artic or something

I use NGK they seem to be more reliable than the champion plugs. Autolite seem to be better than champion also. RayS

quote:
I would like to see proof of that on a dyno. I use to sell Split fire plugs. To gain 50%hp you would have to change the carberation, valve timeing, compresssion ratio, etc.
Maynard, Maynard, Maynard. :D As MPH stated I was full of S___. I was using my crude sense of humor in response to what plugs to use. There used to be a SplitFire spark plugs commercial on TV that claimed a "5 extra HP by merely installing these plugs". So my response was mocking the commercial and I was not making a serious claim. :) Its all good. Ryan :)

I use Champion plugs in all our Briggs small engines. They seem to work well, and they're cheap enough.

I've always used champion in all of my small engines. Never had a problem so I never saw a need to try anything else. But then I still use dino oil to.

I use Autolite plugs. Champion plugs don't last very long. My one Briggs you are lucky to get 5-10 hours out of a plug:(:(!B). I own this motor since it was new in 1996( in my Landlord). I took Landlord back to dealer while it was under warranty. Sparkplug(s) were the problems both times. Autolites last 100 hours with no problems:)8D.

I also use Champion spark plugs in all my small engines. Never had any problems with Champion spark plugs. My one weed trimmer I bought new in 1988 still has the original Champion spark plug in it.;) Karl

I usually use NGK in my small engine and motorcycles, splitfire's in everything else (5hp more!). I try to stay away from champions, not really sure why, had some in a dodge once and it ran funny, now that I think about it, it must have been the brand of truck, not the plugs.

I run Champions in everything I have. Usually the first thing I do if it's acting up (fouled or otherwise misfiring), I throw out the NGK, Autolite, or whatever it is and put in a Champ. They have never let me down. Most fouled plugs I pull out are Autolites.

I use NGK in everything I own. I throw out the Champions I have seen dyno proof of a hp gain on a two stroke motorcycle engine. That was enough to sell me. Second choice would be Denso they seem to be very close to the ngk.

I use Autolite or NGK. When I was tractor pulling I could only get about 12-15 hooks to the sled out of Champions before they would start fouling out. I went to Autolites and could run the whole season (80-100 hooks)without any problems!I changed the plugs at the begining of every season so I don't know how much longer they would have lasted. The engines in all my pullers were rebuilt or new and I only ran them for pulling(very low hours)and used airplane fuel which at the time I believe had about 115 octane. My personal feelings about Champion are "I would rather order a Autolite plug and wait a week for it, than to buy a Champion plug and have to replace it in a month", and I HAVE done this already(ok, maybe not wait a week but I did order one). This is just my personal feelings and everyone has a right to theirs, so to all of you like and use Champions please don't feel I'm bashing you and I hope you continue to have good luck with them. Dan

My mom worked and retired from and my oldest brother is near retiring from the plant in Fostoria Ohio now called Honeywell. When mom started there it was Ford Autolite. They make Autolight,Motorcraft,Screaming Eagle, and Splitfire. Along with some other contract brands and some O2 sencors. So you can see what my loyalties are but champions run a little hotter plug for plug.

Whatever fits in the hole.I have been running the same (j12y type plug )automotive Prestolite spark plug in my 16 hp briggs for 6 years now without a problem.Seriously!!!!

Keith, Glad you have had good luck with Prestolite plugs. I sure didn't. Replaced mine with a Champion that a friend had pulled out of his engine and was keeping as a spare. Still running good two years later with that plug.

I never get champion plugs I have had nothing but problems with them.I have been using firestone plugs I know that they are not made anymore but I have a box of them.They do work well for me.I would more than likely buy the autolite plugs when I have to buy some if I can find them here.Bob