Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hack or Art?

Dutch

Suppose I took a brand new Sovereign and repainted the trademark Simplicity orange paint blue with hotrod type gold flames, threw on some ornaments, blocked out the hood panel, added a pair of Wally World chrome headlights, and rerouted the exhaust so it blew on my leg instead of down to the ground. Would you guys praise me for creating a piece of art, or condemn me for hacking? [img]/club2/attach/dutch/sovereign2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/75th.jpg[/img]

Good question Dutch. I always appreciate a good restoration that will bring the tractor back to original or better than original condition. I can also appreciate a customization of a tractor as shown in your pic as long as it is done with some class, style and of course good quality workmanship. If this person had routed the exhaust differently as to make the tractor more functional then it would be pretty cool. Ryan

Dutch, That is exactly what I thought when I first saw a picture of one of those. If you or I had done it would have been blasphemy, and considered a terrible hack job. Guess when the factory does it then it is considered kosher.

quote:
by rjgoth If this person had routed the exhaust differently as to make the tractor more functional then it would be pretty cool.
Ryan, Better talk to Simplicity about the bad design on this one because as UCD says it was a factory Anniversary Special edition. Dutch, I would have to praise you, I'd like to see the custom exhaust made again but maybe with a exhaust tip pointing down. Gotta love that Special edition. When you going to start this project?

Instead of that being a real, functional exhaust pipe, it is a specially designed resonator -- designed by Harley-Davidson unless I'm mistaken, that is there for show and sound only. It isn't an exhaust pipe... instead, I think it's part of the intake system.

Exhaust Pipe 75th Anniversary                                        Exhaust Regular Sovereign

They did them in University colors to. I think my dealer still has one in the University of Michigan's maize and blue. Being an old time car enthusiast, I like to see special editions of well known products.

Looking at the pictures on ebay, the pipe is different than on the photo Dutch posted. I'll let you guys know if any exhaust actually comes out the end when my new baby arrives on Sunday.

Question to UCD, Is the chrome oil filter still available ?? I'd shure like to have a spare. For now I think I'll get a standard filter and swap the chrome one off and store it in a jar of clean oil.

My feelings on the tractors { and some may shot me for this} is that if it is your hobbie and you are not making a living off them, do what you want with them. Make them into the tractor that YOU want. After all it is your butt that is in them and you are the one that will be driving them, make something that puts a smile on your face :) I would believe that most of the people here are here just for that reason, cause tractors put smile on our faces....

MY TWO CENTS: Gotta admit that I'm a bit of a purist- I re-did my 2010 to original and the 7016 I just picked up will also be original when completed. Having said that, my tractors are a hobby AND an investment to me, and both of these machines are desireable in the sellers market. I also have an old Broadmoor thats basically trashed. This tractor will be the "hot rod" machine I always wanted to build, mostly because I have never seen a Broadmoor sell for big bucks(unless it's in mint condition and/or loaded with attachments)and they don't seem as desireable as the a large frame, so I'm not concerned with investment value, just some "Monster Garage" type fun.

Roger I can not find A simplicity # for it Most likely it is a Kohler# and/or is an aftermarket#. The local parts store should be able to cross it and get you a chrome one. A lot of engine oil filters are availabe in chrome. I use to sell them in my speed shop as dress up items.

I would answer your question with a question........Do YOU like it? Sure the restored and mint tractors are a thing of beauty, yet i like to see what hackers do to "improve" or "fix". Lets face it its not like taking a Tucker car and hacking, they made a million of these tractors.

I agree with Boney. Do whatever you want to your tractor, but I may or may not like it and may or may not buy it (if and when you ever want to part with it).

""Would you guys praise me for creating a piece of art, or condemn me for hacking?"" Herb, it's only a NEW tractor...............who cares? Terry

I received both praise and condemnation for repainting the deutz 916 yellow if you recall. I am planning a purple and gold "Hagerstown Tigers" 7016H for my daughter as well. Since I got a little critism for getting rid of the lime green, I can't imagine the grief you'd get for ruining the Sim. orange Dutch. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/Brent_Baumer/HB916_1.jpg[/img]

Brent Put 605 cc (16hp 37 ci) on the hood and you have a JC Penney,s tractor. I think it looks a lot better than the Duetz green.