Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Case 446

williamjordan

I know its not AC but just thought I would share lol. Well after a bit of cleaning I got my carb to work right and get the engine running ok. Well I took it out for a test drive. Well I would have to say that the tractor is a death trap just waiting to hit. When they say it "Runs away", I just thought it would speed up a bit. Boy I was very wrong on that one! Once you hit the hill you better look out. It goes as fast as it can, with the weight behind the tractor. Another thing I found was that the tractor is quiet back heavy. Way to easy to get the front end up with NOTHING ON! Just the tractor. Throw the tiller on and look out. Front end spends more time in the air! lol. I was wondering why the front end has alot of play, now I know why! I will get some pics of it in a couple of days. William Jordan

That "run away" is probably because the Case is hydraulic drive as opposed to the Simplicity hydrostatic drive. I think Case tractors use a hydraulic pump and a separate hydraulic motor. Both are fixed displacement.

They make a retarder kit for some of the tractors to stop or slow the downhill runaway. Dad had a Case 444 given to him he cut most of the time on a hill. Needless to say he used the B-10 more often. If I remember there was a weight on the front of that 444 it looked to be factory.