Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wider is Better? How about Skinny Minnies?

thedaddycat

I've seen a lot of posts from folks looking to go with wider rear tires and wheels. Here's a look at going the other way. How does this set of 4X12 rear look on the 3310?

Heck, I bet you could plant rows twice as close and still miss 'em!!

Low rider look to the back, they seem shorter than even the 6X12 tires.....

Dan, here's the plate with locking tabs on the bolts...... Have Fun!!!

The 4X12 tires makes the tractor look bigger.:D:D From the picture looks like you were very busy....taking motors out of tractors etc. The plate with locking tabs on the bolts is a good idea.^;) [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url] Karl

That tractor sure looks strange with the skinny tires. Just curious what is the plate/locking tabs for? John H

John, a while back I broke out the lower bolt castings from the BGB case while using(OK, overloading) my JBJr. I made a set of support plates that run from the tranny all the way up onto the frame where the electric lift bracket mounts. I also made cross plates that fit into the frame on both sides of the cross plate in the frame that the BGB mounts to..... Here are a few links to check out for more on this story........ http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=9147&SearchTerms=cross+plate http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=9173&SearchTerms=cross+plate http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=9492&SearchTerms=cross+plate http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=9666&SearchTerms=cross+plate http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=9703&SearchTerms=cross+plate Anyhow, I ended up coming to the realization that it was most likely the BGB bolts coming loose that was at the root of the problem. I figured that as an alternative to drilling out all the fasteners for lock wire, locking tabs was about the fastest and easiest way to go. As you can see, I went just a bit deeper into it.........

Marty, like I said above the loose bolts are at the root of the problem. I think that just installing a set of locking tab plates would take care of the problem. The tractors are plenty strong enough if the bolts stay tight so you just have to make sure the bolts stay tight..... If I were to do it all over again, I'd just make the tabs and tighten everything up real good and bend the tabe over on the bolt heads......

Kirk Look at it this way, if you find a bucket loader you are all set for it. Oh by the way Thank You I got it yesterday.

Any time Maynard;) OK, here are a few more pics to entertain you...... Those 4.80/4.00-8s didn't look right with the 4X12 rears, so....... Broadmoor fronts to lower her just a tad. Here are the two tractors for your pulling endeavors Dan. Note how the 3310 looks smaller even though it just has smaller tires and wheels?

Here is a side profile, a couple inches lower it looks like.

Here's the Wonder Boy next to them just for comparison.

When lined up next to the smaller ag tires, the 6X12 ags look positively beefy........ LOL

daddycat, are those the tires you have been looking for to make a dualie ? When it comes to "Do -it-yourself" you got that coverd. Wish I had half your talent.

Yes, those are the 4X12 wheels I think I'll be using for the delivery truck project. If you look at the second pic down from the very top, you'll see a 5X12 ag tire laying on the ground. I may use those rims with the narrower tire or I may rig up the 8-spoke wheels from my walking tractor(which are also 4X12 size) and mount the spoke wheels as the outboard wheels. How would that rate on the "Cool Scale"? lol

Those should do me just fine :D Now folks, use your imaginations and picture those in their new coats of paint..... Deutz-Allis Green and JC Penny's yellow. :D:D

Seems though i remember a post here where a guy had a tractor(7000 series), with dodge caravan rims and tires.(back) I thought if you could just find some ag tires for those rims a guy would really have something.....cool Pics Kirk.

If you leave the right skinny on the rim (with it's current mounting direction) you should have backing up traction covered too! Was that your master plan????:o)

Those tires came that way on the rims when I got them. Think dual wheels, and then they're mounted the right way.......

Where is the bolens that they came off from? I have a few sets of them laying around,to bad they are on tractors.I put a set on the B1 and they don' look right on there either.I could use one of those engines for a allis that I have.Bob

Which one??? LOL In this pile there are four untested Model 19 and a 23D, running 10 and 16 Briggs, a Clinton, and some other stuff......

That is one very nice pile of engines there.I might have that many but I have then scatered between the shed and the garage.

Yeah, I need to straighten it up though. I have the two other 16 Briggs singles outside and a 16 Briggs twin and 18 Kohler twin in the garage along with some other stuff..... That "shed" is actually the kids' "Log Cabin" play house that I started last fall. I got it close enough to weather tight that it became the temporary home for the engines. Once I get the backhoe and do the hill and yard, I'll set up my garage-in-a-box and move them.......

Kirk, Those tires on the wondeboy look a lot better than when I saw them last. How did it start and run? I have been so busy I forgot to ask.