Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

10 Minute Fixes-Help!!!!

papamerkle

I help teach/coach a FFA (Future Farmers of America) small motors trouble shooting team. There are 3 persons to a team. Each team member has to go through 6-8 stations where they answer questions on theory of operation,IDing parts and tools, measuring parts, and my favorite-trouble shooting a motor. A student is allowed 10 minutes at each station. What I'm looking for is any problem anyone has had that could be found and repair in 10 minutes time. The motors the students will trouble shoot are Briggs and Stratton. THANKS for any suggestions/problems someone has had in the past.

I participated in the FFA Ag Mechanics CDE last year and small engines was the focus of the competition. Our skill test was using a spark tester on 3 engines to determine if it had good spark, intermittent spark, or no spark. This year the competition will focus on oxy-acetylene cutting. This will be my last year in competition since I am a Senior this year. My list of 10 minutes fixes: 1. Fouled plug. (Change plug.) 2. Plugged air filter. (Blow out or replace) 3. Flooded. (Wait) 4. Runs too rich/lean. (Tuning) 5. Overheating. (Pull cover and clean out debris on cooling fins) 6. Bad plug. 7. Throttle/Choke linkage adjustments. That's about all I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps.

It might be too simple, but if you have one of the bowl filters below the tank, the bowl can be full and the valve shut........ Points wire shorted to engine by cover pinching it....... Gas tank vent plugged.......

Set the governer or governer spring so the engine runs slow. Head bolts only finger tight. Remove flywheel key and install flywheel at least 90 degrees out of time. If engine has pulsa-jet carb, remove the diaphragm cover and cut off or fold back one of the diaphragm valve flaps. Loosen carb mounting bolts just enough so that it's sucking air. Set spark plug gap very close, about .005" Pat

I had one last summer on a 5hp lanw mower like new, may be 10 hours on the mower. Would not run, check all the usuals. I could feel compression when pulling the starter rope, I rebuilt the carb with no results. I must have spend hours and many parts and just about gave up and asked my brother to check it out. He found one loose head bolt, tightened it up and got it to fire once or twice. He took the head off and the head gasket was completly blown out. It appeared the head bolt was never tight from the factory. New gasket fixed it. My point is, even a new engine can have the the problems you might find in a older used one.

• 3 weeks later...
Trouble Shooting contest was held April 8. There were 18 schools and 52 students competing. As a team my group finished 5th. Top finishing individual on the team finished 8th. He is a sophomore and now has a part time job working on small motors at local ACE hardware(My Son). Needless to say Dad is a little proud. THANK YOU for all you suggestions.