Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Smitty

Burning hot Bevel Gear box

Smitty
Bevel Gear Box. After about an hour mow job, how hot should the bevel gear box be? Mine is really too hot to touch after mowing. Is that normal or should I be planning to replace it? Can they be rebuilt? I recently replaced the oil and I think I put the right amount back in. There is a dip stick plug and it should just touch the end of the stick when loosely set in the hole at the top, right?

RayS
The oil should just touch the end of stick. Is it making any noises in the bearings? Or any side to side movement in the input and output shafts? All the parts can be bought at a dealer or one of the sponsors.

PatRarick
They all get fairly warm, but not hot unless there is a problem. I had one that got hot last summer. When I disassembled it, I found that the input shaft had worn and was slipping or spinning inside the ball bearing. It got hot enough to discolor the shaft. Pat

maxtorman1234
I find its too expensive for new parts, so im in trouble. I just had to replace a bad bgb in my 410S. There was a bad rattle in the driveshaft, so I thought it was hitting something. Turns out it was the gears in the bgb. Had to replace it with the one from the 710. Now its smooth and quiet. Should have looked into it when i first heard the noise. Im luky its just the gears this time though. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/bgb.jpg [/url]

dlcentral
If it was ever rebuilt??,, I'll bet the bolt holding DRIVE gear on has too long a head and is rubbing on the crossshaft that will cook everything in a few minutes.Or possib. a frozen bearing,either way it shouldnt be that hot,, it wont last long,,