Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

716 6-Speed Transmission

Kokomo

Can some one tell me what the 1/2 - 20 bolt thread hole is for on the top left of the transmission on my AC 716 6 - Speed? Also what the pipe plug on the side of the transmission near the top for. There is a plug on the same side near bottom of the transmission to drain the fluid and a street elbow with the same pipe plug to add transmission oil about a 3rd of the way up on same side. The only thing I can figure is that the top plug is a vent to aid in filling the transmission. Bob in Kokomo

I use the top plug to fill my 3 speeds. Much easier to get to, I remove the level check plug and add til it starts comming out. Never seen a six speed but it sounds like the same set-up.