Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
comet66

"Aero Look"

comet66
IMHO!^ The "Aero Look" has no business on a tractor. A Tractor should look like a Tractor! ^ Tractors are not supposed to look like they are going fast even sitting still. The basic shape of a tractor should be like a brick, strong and solid, not like a wedge, slim and slippery. It's fine to round the corners and edges some, but a tractor should have the aperance of mass and strength. Or maybe my grandson is right and I am just too old fashioned.[:0] What do you guys and girls think??

Allis_B12
I like a brawny, handsome look on a tractor. The lawn tractors can be aerodynamic, but garden tractors need to look serious. I think corners should be slightly rounded, but the hood shouldn't really have a downward slope. Rear fenders can be slightly rounded. IMO, the most handsome garden tractor on the market today is the John Deere X Series. The tractor underneath doesn't look especially beefy (and I've seen one up close), but the styling is clean and serious. If Simplicity could have adopted a similar look for the Legacy XL, it would give a far better first impression.

arjr111
Older look, that's what I like most about the FDT's. I have a Simplicity 94 16GTG, 50" Deck, with a newer style hood, and it is a nice working machine, just looks like it should be tilling on the moon! [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/B-10.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/Early%20B10%20-%20After.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/00_00001_4.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/16GTG.JPG[/img]

MPH
I too like the squared off beefy look with the engine visible from the sides. My brother claims the sloped hoods like the New Holland, about like the new Simplicity's, gives you better view in front. Could well be, but I don't seem to run into a lot of things. But guys, ya gotta think of all the fuel that will be saved not bucking all that wind when mowing at 5mph

ikipp
I like my tractor to look like a strong, lean, muscle machine. I have been disgusted with simplicity co. since they changed the lines on their tractors. (My wife likes the new softer-rounder look.) Not for me=no way baby!

RonT
I still like the squared off look! But I guess that the manufacturs are trying to keep up with the automotive buisness they are all rounding off corners and making things more areodynamic. Like MPH said look how much fuel you will save at 5mph plus the better areo package will give you that extra 0.2mph at top speed.

comet66
And down force for traction when plowing snow. Also over the live of the tractor you will probably save somewhere in the nieghborhood of 1/2 gallon of fuel with the improved slip characteristics.

SimpleMan
Personally, I like them both. My Sovereign has the squared "means business" look that a garden tractor should have, and I like the looks of it. After having seen the new Prestige and Conquest lines I have to say they have a certain appeal to my eye also. I guess I figure that if the new style is what will keep buyers happy, so be it. I hope Simplicity will be in business for many years to come. In the sea of "green" that I'm surrounded by, my orange colored tractors are very pleasing to the eye...no matter what the shape.

dratkinson
I would like to buy a new (or moderately so) tractor that looks like an old tractor. So if Simplicity changed and started producing such a design today, I could buy a great find in 5-10 years. /r David

dhardin
Hopefully Simpicity will learn from the automotive designers and see the populartity of the PT-cruser or the little Chevey truck thats out. And make a retro model that looks old but has, lets say a 20hp twin, the latest tranny with cruse control, power steering and a adjustable plush seat. Id be interseted if it was priced right. Ok while we are dreaming say life time repacement on the deck spindles. And call it the Lanlord 201. And Simplicity, if you see this send the royalty checks to dhardin tractor fund.

nighteye
"But guys, ya gotta think of all the fuel that will be saved not bucking all that wind when mowing at 5mph" (MPH) This year, I,m using my boy and his friend and were gonna line up 3 tractors, and mow, so we can take advantage of the draft.