Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DarrellL

DarrellL
I aquired a simp. 728 with a bad motor. Not much left for decals to read. Numbers stamped in housing are Mod.#191701,Type#0121-01,Code#6912191. It is a Briggs&Stratton Corp. motor. My question is; Can I still get the same motor or do I need a different number motor? Any help is a big help. Thanks. DarrellL

sandyhillbill
Darrell: I have a 728 Broadmoor ID # 765 which has a shows up as a 1972 model, but it has a 8hp vert. shaft briggs model # 191707 type 5142-01 code 75031912 which shows to be a 1977 model motor if I read the chart right. I doubt seriously if you could find either one of these motors as new replacments today but you could probably cross reference to a newer type motor with no problem. Hope this helped with your problem. Bill

sandyhillbill
Darrell: This is Bill again. another thing I failed to mention in my previous reply is that my motor has a starter that is mounted on the side of the motor in a vert. plane and has a gear drive to the flywheel. I'm thinking yours probably has a starter/generator that is belt driven. Is that right or wrong?

clyde
Almost any vertical shaft engine will work, as long as it has a 1" keyed shaft. If you stay with the smaller 8-12 HP or so engines they should physically fit under the hood OK. Bills point about the starter generator type is a good one - if you have the older style (belt driven) and use a newer engine you may have to re-wire a little for the charging circuit. Good luck!

DarrellL
Bill, Thanks for the imfo. Yes,mine does have a vert.shaft with a starter/generator on the side that is belt driven. I'll try and get crossed and a wiring diagram. Clyde, Thanks for the additional imfo about the wiring. Believe it or not MY WIFE wants too use it for mowing this summer HERSELF. There must be a man upstairs. Thanks again, DarrellL