Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs and Stratton vs. Kohler

yeoman

stevejj56
YEOMAN, 50 HP OUT OF A KOHLER IS DONE BY STROKING THE CRANK,BORING THE BLOCK TO 4 INCHES,BIGGER VALVES,HIGH LIFT CAM, A BORED KOHLER CARB RUNING ALCOHOL,AND HIGH COMPRESSION. BUT EVEN THE KOHLER HAS LIMITATIONS. I NOW HAVE A BLOCK THAT IS CALLED A JONES PS1. IT LOOKS LIKE A KOHLER BUT NO FINS. ON THE DYNO ITS TOP HP OUTPUT WAS 58 1/2 HP. KOHLER MAKES A 4 HP ENGINE,BUT I DON'T KNOW JR DRAGSTER RULES SO I DON'T KNOW IF IT COULD BE USED. MY OTHER TRACTOR HAS A 12HP KOHLER ENGINE THAT HAS 23 HP ON THE DYNO. LIKE TIM SAID,IF THE ENGINE DOES WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED TO DO FOR A LONG TIME IT MUSTBE GOOD. I'VE JUST HAD BETTER LUCK WITH KOHLER. THE 5 HP BRIGGS ON THE GO CART I HAD WAS ONE TOUGH ENGINE. STEVE

This is aimed towards STEVEJJ56 especially. If you think that Kohlers are better, you are WRONG! You don't see Kohler engines in Junior dragsters bumping a five horse up to 30 HP. By the way, how do you get 50 HP out of a Kohler anyway.

I have no choice, have to run Briggs! I am not smart enough to keep a Kohler running!

I have a serf 525 with a 5 horse engine on it and besides for the new head gasket in it it is still running great and I snow blow with it and it is a 1969. Not too bad that goes to show that when proper maintence and a little love it will last. By the way when going into the engine to change the head gasket there was little or no wear on the piston and rings not enough to go and replace. Sincerely yours Doug

Geez now it my turn! Ok briggs are the best engines ever made bar none. Just my opinion and its subject to change without any notice from me. Alwrite the kohlers are well lets just say ok. But to be honest I have only owned one kohler and it was burning oil "bad" when I got it. But it does seem like Les said the kohlers seem require a smarter person to keep them running to which I can relate to that statment. And its like another member stated it all depends on how the engines are maintained thru out there life. And like Tim said about using the engine for what its intented for whether it be a garden tractor or a bad boy tractor pullen son of a gun. Hey we all know what happens to any engine that is abused or not maintained its just some blands seem to keep comin back for more longer. Is it like comparing apples and oranges here, I don't think so but when it comes to some things we "all" have "our opinions" and as long as we "respect" each others write to their own we will all be....... >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. "Best to all and have a great weekend" :)

Never had any problems with numerous Briggs except getting the timing set right after switching to Megatron ing on my old 302431 after recent rebuild after 1400+ hours. Never would have done it if I had known it was going to be the problem it had been. Did not know in advance that I would have to have the flywheel re-polarized either, but that all water over the damn now and I coundn't complain if I get another few years out of it. Todder

Well I think if an engine can do what it was designed to do for over 30 years then it's a darn good engine. I have several 30+ year old Briggs in my tractors and have no need to hotrod them to 50HP. Also they are no better or worse than a 30 year old Kohler doing it's thing for those 30 years. You really can't judge an engine by what you can make it do that it was never designed to do. Tim

dlcentral
Ahh yes the debate is still alive Koh.vs.B&S!I like BOTH actually,, Briggs for my own stuff and Kohler to earn a living fixing/re-building!I haven't seen a Koh. 30 yrs. old that wasn't apart at least 2X's already! Just my 1 1/2 cents worth!,, dlc

Well, here is my 2 cents worth. For use as a garden tractor engine doing garden tractor work the B&S are smoother, less vibration and use less fuel for the same amount of work. They hold up better on hilly terrain (better dipper on rod end). The Kohler's are much easier modified for more HP. As a garden tractor puller, the Kohlers work better for pulling (they can be bored out more and you can get more fuel through that carb). For mowing use a B&S for pulling use a Kohler. MS

I'll take the fact that I can keep my kohler running as a compliment, my briggs however is giving me a headache. Mike

It takes about 2 gallon of gas to mow my yard with the B-210 and the 10 horse Briggs. It takes about 3.5 gallon to do it with the 12 horse Kohler. Not a real fair comparison as the Kohler was turning a hydro and the Briggs was turning a gear drive, but it was the same deck. Also the Kohler was not running right, and it still wont run when it gets real hot, I have rebuilt the carb, changed the fuel lines, cleaned the points, replaced the coil and today I replaced the condenser, if that doesnt fix it I am certain that I will have a Kohler engine for sale! Anyway I do believe that I have proven that Briggs are easier on fuel than a Kohler.

dlcentral
I like BOTH of them - obviously either one when running properly will last and perform quite well! Let's not forget that both Simplicity and AC have used both also. No - I won't open up a can of worms and mention Honda or Kawasaki.....no.....I won't....well.....maybe for a lawn tractor.....oh no....I'll be banned from the club....forget I mentioned them.....I meant Harley! :)

stevejj56
Does anybody have any opinion on a 16.5hp onan motor that is in a simplicity 4040 with a mid-mount 60" deck that I haven't already said to myself? !@*&$^!@*$%! NO POWER!!!!!!