Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what's a guy to do?

SimpleMan

I have the opportunity to buy one of two tractors...and am interested in opinions. One is a AC 610 with a 42" mower (haven't measured, but it looks as though it would be). It has been well maintained. Is still very useable. The original motor was replaced at some time with another. It even has chrome hubcaps. The other is an AC T-816. Also with mower deck. Another very useable machine. It has had extensive work done on the mower deck. Both front spindles have been replaced, along with all required bearings. The engine has new headgasket. The 610 has a price of about 500CDN. As for the T-816 it's priced at 1500CDN. I wish I could buy both...but that's not feasable. The reason for my interest is that I saw them at a local dealer, and thought one of them would make a nice match for my 98 Simplicity Sovereign that I currently own. What are your thoughts?:)?

I allways look for the future use and potential. I would opt for the bigger, higher HP tractor. I'm not fomiliar with the 816 and your Sov. but would the attachments interchange? That would be a major +. However, you know your needs and yor finances, so don't listen to me. Since I've got my 620 fixed I'm a little byast over the vertical shaft engine powered tractors. Try working a deal w/ the guy for a little cleanup work and get both. Or ask him for a package price of 2 or 3 hundred less, and tell him if you take both then he won't have too WORRY about the other one setting there too long.have fun, and let us know how you come out, Dave.

Dave Your idea of trying to make a 'bulk' deal is something that had not occurred to me. Think I'll give it a shot. As far as interchanging attachments, it would not work...they are totally different machines. My Sovereign is a large frame horizontal shaft BGB 18HP garden tractor, similar to an AC 900 series or Sov. 7100 series tractor. The T-816 is a Vertical shaft 16HP lighter duty garden tractor. The 610 is a very small vertical shaft 10HP tractor (nothing like your 620). All three machines are capable of handling the same kinds of attachments (obviously the Sov. would be better at it), but they attach differently. Also, the 816 uses a completley different mowing deck than the other two. Finally, my Sov. equipment would be too big for the other two machines. The main reason for my interest was two things. First, they caught my eye as I was there looking at what was "new for spring". Second, I have a 9 year old son who I would like to teach the 'joys of working on the yard'...thought this would be a good way to get started, and we could both do it together. Sorry 'bout the rambling....Gord

Did the same thing w/ my son,4years old at the time, and gave him my B-207. I've gotten him talked into tradeing up now to something larger. That took some doing. have fun, dave.

Went back to get more information on the tractors. Heard them both running. They both run very well, the 610 has slight smoking at start-up...but nothing alarming. In fact the 610 has a newer single cylinder Briggs 12 horse in it. Found out that there is a parts tiller for the 810 that would come with the deal. Now the deal is same prices if bought individually, or 1750CDN (1200US)if bought as a package...and the tiller gets thrown in for free. You should of seen the look on his face when I asked about the package price. 8)[:0] Now I just have to convince someone who's more important than tractors in my life :Dthat this is a great idea.