Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

b-110 axel bearings instead of bushings

ampitts

My transaxel has roller bearings supporting the main axel tube instead of the brass bushings that I have seen on other B series tractors and in the parts catalogs. After comparing the transaxel and tractor to a limited number of other b-110's I have noticed two other unique items. The sliding shift linkage bar on top of the tranxaxel has a mushoom shaped button on it to activate an ignition lockout switch. The same sliding shift linkage bar is carried by brass bushings and has oil seals at both exit points on the case. None of the other b-110 tansaxels I have seen are like this. All other internal components appear to be identical. Transaxel case cover has broken out around the bearing and I can't seem to find a replacement that houses a roller bearing istead of a bushing. Can anyone tell me where to focus my search?

Apparently, a newer style transmission was installed in your B-110 at one time. From what I can gather by parts manuals, the 3210/B-210 began the change from bushings to bearings on the axle tube. The mushroom shaped button is the actuating button for the neutral safety switch, which also began with the 3210/B-210. The bushings and seals on the sliding shaft came even later, probably beginning with the 7000/700 series. From the information you provided, I would guess that the right rear hub has the long shaft sticking out, rather than the short hub with the two traction adjustment screws. Any three speed transmission (or six speed beginning with the 7000/700 series) of the large frame tractors will bolt in. A transmission from a variable speed will also work, but the input shaft will be longer. Just make sure the transmission is not from a shuttle, or you won't have reverse. A couple of things that I should note, is that on tractors before the B-110, newer transmissions will not work without a small modification. There is an extra casting on the top of the later transmission case which will interfere with the seat pan support. A small portion of this casting must be cut off. As to the B-110, I'm not sure if they all had the same seat pan or if only the early B-110's had the unique, "double hinge" pan. This style of seat pan has a brachet similar to the support bracket on the earlier tractors and may require the casting to be modified. Maybe someone else can expand on this. Pat

Incredible amount of help and knowledge. Thank you. Knowing that just about any transaxel will fit gives me much hope. What I never said in my initial post was that my transaxel cover plate at axel tube has broken. A few more related questions.....My b-110 owners manual says that some models had key start and some had push button start. The wiring diagram shows that the key start has the safty switch which I asume must mount to the top of the transaxel just like on mine. If it is in the wiring diagram why can't I find reference in the parts books to the switch, mounting bracket and required variation in the sliding rod on top of the transaxel? If this type of transaxel was never in the b-110 then why would the safety swith be in the wiring diagram? Today I did find a some parts that I can use to piece something together. It sems that the later cases (the ones with the varialble speed) have the roller bearings and the modified bar on top for the saftey switch. The case is also a bit different in that there is a 1 inch semi circular notch cast into the lower edge of the case and cover plate. Also a different type of bearing and seal for the input shaft but still for a 3/4 inch shaft. While I see lots of differences it also looks like the internal parts and maybe even the cover plate will all interchange. Is this correct? My case seems to be somewhere inbetween. It has the roller bearings for the axel tube, the seals on the shift linkage, but no notch in the casting. Is it possible to use the cover from the notched type with the non notched type? How about interchanging axels and axel tubes between transaxels with axel roller bearings vs bushings? After taking some quick measurements it looks like it will work even though the tubes have different part numbers. If I can take an axel tube and axel from a non notched case without roller bearings and my origial short input shaft and put it all in one of the notched cases with roller bearings I am home free.

The right side case covers are interchanable as are axle tubes are also. I found a tranaxle (parts tractor) that had the bushing on the left (housing) and the roller bearing in the right (cover).

If you read the manual, you will see that the axle tube bearings (or bushings) are supposed to be replaced as a pair. I'm fairly certain there was never any factory tractor that mixed a bushing and a needle bearing in one tranny....

Thanks for the info. What do you know about the cases with the notch in them? Would they also be interchangeable with the cases with no notch? Not all but most cases with the notch in them have the roller bearings for the axel tube. The case I have that I need to find a cover for is a bit unusuall in that it has axel tube roller bearings but no notch in the case. Also do you know if the internal gears and shafts are interchangable between both the notched and unnotched case?