Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Late Model" Carbs--Safe for Carb Cleaner?

BigSix

Hey. I am working on a trencher (looks like the rear of a miniature backhoe, but is only a towable hoe with it's own, small engine) with a varnished-up carb. You've no doubt seen these machines--they are sold through Northern Tool. The current model is the "Trencherman II" and is 8 hp., but the one I'm working on is a 1994/1995 and apparently is slightly smaller. The current model (#4066) weighs 1,399 lbs--this one is a model # 4055. I can't tell what the horsepower is, but it is a 13 cu. inch. engine. It is an "Industrial Plus" series of Briggs and Stration. My Question: I've removed the carb. After as much disassembly as possible, I want to soak it in carb cleaner, but I would like to know if there are any rubber-like parts that are not obvious and removable, so that the carb cleaner will damage them. I know in some engines there are pieces that are "Viton tipped" whatever that means. Presubably, Viton is a rubber-like gasket type material. If it IS okay to soak, how long? I've been reading that more than 30-45 minutes is overkill, and can damage parts. Thanks in advance. Peter

The 13 cubic inch "Industrial Plus" is a five horse engine. If you are installing a carb kit, any rubber or viton parts which will be damaged by the cleaner are included in the kit. If you are just doing a cleaning, check the float needle. If it has a rubber tip, you can soak the carb without a problem. Just don't soak the needle. If it has a solid metal needle, chances are that there is a rubber or viton seat in the carb. Soaking will damage that seat. A spray cleaner would be best in that instance. If the carb is real gummy, I would just get a kit and soak the carb. Pat

Ditto. Thats what I was gonna say. If you use the same dip type cleaner I use the stuff will take the hide right of you barehanded, It will deffinately clean the carb. or anything not metal you put in it.

I have that exact unit and it works great.I believe mine is 5.5hp.Carb cleaner is safe for all parts on the carb.But bucket gunk that you dip it in will wipe any non ferrous parts right out.I have been very successful rebuilding carbs with a tool from JC Whitney.It is a carb jetting tool that has really small drill bits in it and will clean out all small passages without enlarging or damaging them.

Wow you guys--thanks for the great info, and so quickly. Pat and Dave-17: I hear you--a kit would be better than just a cleaning, but I have no good dealers near me who woud have one in stock. I'm under pressure to move the machine, as it's part of an estate sale. It is sitting (covered) in an overgrown field with no vehicular access, so that I will need to power it out under its own power, if possible. I will watch for the fragile carb parts. Patrician: Given that the machine is "stranded", how well do these machines move, "crabbing" under their own power? While I will trim out the sapplings and briars, it's still a pretty "choked" field I have to go through, for several hundred feet. It also must be threaded around a couple buildings--how many guys does it take to roll one, over moderately bumpy "lawn"? I have access to a solid, wooden dolley with 8", fully castering wheels. I was considering mounting a trailer ball in the center of the dolley, and snapping it into the ball hitch, to prevent tipping and digging the trailer tongue in. In your opinion, would this be necessary or are these machines fairly stable? I've never seen one work, let along move itself. That carb tool sounds very interesting--I will look into that. Thanks again! Peter

You can't get a tractor to it? I would try to pull it out first to a good working spot, then do that stuff.

Bigcountry: No, I can't get a tractor in, conveniently. I would have to have a friend trailer over a tractor or quad, and I'm trying to avoid that. I did pic up a Troy Built tiller, and was considering using it as a "tug", but the carb and tank on the tiller are severly varnished. I have people moving cars with those tillers, but I don't see that happening with the somewhat bumpy terrain involved.