Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Leading Edge Snow wing 'Worthwhile'

MPH

After my ole Air Force buddy hit the road today I went out to the shop to try and rid myself of a pet peeve when plowing snow, the loss of snow around the leading edge when the blade is angled. Did some hammering to make this part and the back of the blade part, which I never snapped a pic of.

then I had to make an outhouse moon outta it

front view

side view

though I hammered at the irons til they seemed to match the curve of the blade perfect, with the thickness of a 5/16 washer for freeplay, after I tacked it together I couldn't get it to rotate up off the blade, somethings not a perfect curve, so I had to change my lock in place plan and came up with this. The bolts I'll try to replace with pins as I don't want to have to use wrench to switch sides.

I realize your all getting into cutting grass, tilling and plowing but thought you might want a back burnner idea for next winter. tested it today, maybe could've been a couple inches longer, made it six.

Looks good Martin. That should do the job well, and I like that you can remove or move from side to side as needed. But I gotta tell ya. I'm glad it's not me still looking at moving snow. I'm ready to mow for a change.

Thats a good one for next year, for sure. I'm going to try that idea for next winter. And your right about mowing. Its started here in Maryland already! yeehaww!

I think it should Work great.. Looks good too.. I have been gonna buy one for my Quad blade, I usually plow with that faster then I should and it leaves a trail .....

I'm glad we don't have snow like that. I actually fired up the old B/S push mower and mowed a few wild onions around the wife's water garden and the patio yesterday. It was around 78 degrees yesterday here in VA. Today it was in the 50s.

Don't know from experiance with these little front blades, but the same problem occured on the bigger dozers and dirt moveing equipment I used to run. I'd compensate by useing more angle on the blade so the bulk would roll off better towards the trailing side. On these blades is their room to add another hole to adjust the angle more? Don't get me wrong, It looks great, but seems to me like you need to get the spoil to move more instead of pileing it up so straight before it pushes off the side. Like I said , I don't have one of these blades so I'm just shooting in yhe dark at the problem.

Your right with more angle Dave. The blade for my B112 has about 10degree more angle and its not as much of a problem. It will push the front end of the tractor more then the 725 blade does. Where this wing really shined was around the curves of the driveway when the blade is angled the same way I was turning.

Looks great, Marty. I too like that you can switch sides with it. Say, are you opening a fab shop up there, or what? You're doing like a new project a week, it seems, and that includes R&D time!

Definitely a good idea and design. I wish my blade was 8' wide. I don't have any trouble when I tilt my 46" blade to the far left/right position. The next one over is a problem, but I do recognize when it will work for me. I use the in-between tilt when I am working a slight opposite turn or light snow or short runs. The real problem is when I have a slope and the blade digs in too much on either of these settings. My 3/4" trap rock was pushed outside my parking area and drive areas and well I've got a lot of raking/plowing. I'm thinking of designing a wedge/structure where I can push gravel on a screen and clean up the traprock/gravel. I'd be interested if anyone has techniques to clean that up.

Mike AC make an attchment for cleanig up rocks and gravel Allis Chalmers SCREENER/BEACH CLEANER** CAN ALSO BE USED AS ROCK PICKER ** [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3806837877&category=11766[/url] [img]http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/94/c5/ec_2.JPG[/img]

Now that is cool and it's only going for $510 right now!

Now do you think my neighbors would get a little peaved with that in my yard? And the necessary tractor?

I need a mini one of those Maynard. No Peter, no fab shop plans, just trying to get things done that will make it easier to care for the homestead when I go working 6 days a week away from home. Most the R&D has been rolling around the back burnner brain cells for awhile, then, presto, some freebie materials come along, some daylight comes back, and I get motivated. Looks like I get to try it out for real this morning, been blowing hard all night with a fair amount of new snow, the burms on the driveway are almost full across, think I killed off too many spruce trees.