Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Newer Recoil Starters--Throwaways?

BigSix

On this mini-backhoe/trencher I'm recovering, the mice chewed the recoil rope. The Trencherman has a 5 H.P. B&S "Industrial Plus," (whatever that means). The Model No. is 133432 and it was built in 1994. I removed the recoil mechanism, and used some twine in the notch in the flywheel cup. Upon getting home, I can't see how the recoil mechanism is disassembled. There are no bolts or screws holding the rope reel inside. Rather, at the center is what looks like an approx. half-inch roll pin, the engine side of which looks like it's been peened or flared, so as to hold the rope reel inside the recoil starter. Are these not restringable? It's built so lightly and cheaply, (compression-release engine) I could almost envision them hanging in blister packs, so the company could charge more for them than they could for just the rope--lol (I hope). How do I get this sucker open? Thanks.

Opps! I meant to add that. I'll go do that now. Sorry. The Trencherman has a 5 H.P. B&S "Industrial Plus," (whatever that means). The Model No. is 133432 and it was built in 1994. Okay--I found an OEM Starter Rope Repair Kit, for approx. $8.00. The link to the kit is: [url]http://shop.briggsandstratton.com//BShopProductPage.asp?CatalogID=&MECID=100&CategoryID=&lrid=&ProductID=56B2BB2E-283C-11D4-8886-00B0D0203414[/url] I am still feeling dumb that I don't see how the reel comes out of the recoil housing. Thanks again.

You shouldn't have to disassemble the recoil to replace the rope. Work the old rope out. If the broken end is deep inside the pulley, wind the pulley against the spring (counter-clockwise as you face the inside of the housing), about two or three turns. Put a small screwdriver or wire through the housing eyelet and allow the pulley to turn back to catch the broken end of the rope with the screwdriver or wire. Pull the rope out. On the inside of the pulley, you can see the knot. Pull the knot to remove the rope. Wind the pulley counter-clockwise until the spring is snug. If necessary, let it unwind just far enough to line up the hole in the pulley with the eyelet in the housing, and hold in that position. Feed the new rope (in which you've already put a knot in the end) from the pulley side, through the pulley and out through the eyelet. Pull out until the knot is seated in the pulley. Holding the rope snug, allow it to rewind slowly until the pulley is full, or until the end of the rope is near the eyelet. That will tell you where to tie the handle. Pull the rope out about a foot or so and tie a knot in it to keep it from rewinding. Install the handle, cut off the extra rope, untie the knot and allow it to rewind. Pat

Hushie chain saw trick for you Pat, as this sounds like the same recoil set up, instead of tieing a knot which you have to untie to hold the rope out, clamp it with a pair of 6 inch vise grips, much easier out in the cold where I started doing it.

Pat: Thank you very much for the tutorial. I will print it and see how I do. I did learn (I think) from the unhelpful local dealer, (in a rare fit of whoknowswhat) that the "flaired rollpin" holding the reel in, is to be driven out through the engine side. There is apparently a plastic plug under the "5 H.P." side of the recoil assy. which you remove, and drive it toward the inside. I can feel the plug under the 5 H.P. decal. But I like your way better. The dealer said I may have broken the spring, merely by turning the reel the wrong way, gently, but this seems a little far out. I didn't have it with me, or I would have asked him to show me. Anyone heard of this? This dealer is so unhelpful, generally, that when I paid $4.23 for a single, tiny B&S in line fuel filter, I didn't even get the cheap, spring clamps for the fuel line. I didn't even get a package of any kind. Ah...the tri-state metro area--a place to be missed, (as in, bypassed) in many ways...IMHO.