Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powder coat color chart

TomSchmit

A recent post discussed the benefits of powder coating over paint. I agree that powder coating is superior, but had trouble getting the correct colors. Someone posted a link to an on-line color chart for PPG brand coatings. In order to get the true colors, I requested the chart of color chips from them. I will compare these colors to the various Simplicity orange and cream colors, following the outline of colors as shown on the paint color pages of the Simple trACtors website. Ken can add this info to these pages for future users. Do I have any volunteers who would do the same for all the different AC yellow and orange colors? I don't have any AC tractors!). If someone has a good selection of AC tractors to compare, I will be happy to mail them the color chart to do this. I am also considering to purchase a drum of Simplicity orange (haven't decided which one yet) and selling smaller quantities for people to use - a little of this powder goes a long way. Anybody interested? Tom Schmit

I know Eastwood company sells a lot of different powdercoat colors.I don't recall in which quantities they sell them. http://www.eastwoodco.com

Hmmm....On the Johnny Bucket Jr. web site it says they buckets are powder coated...In the pictures the colors look pretty close to the tractors that they are mounted on...But I know pictures do not show the colors the best...Maybe he could give some insight on the colors he uses...I am guessing though that he probably sends these out and has them done....

I'm seriously thinking of buying a powder coat system so I can do my early B10. I would be interested in finding the correct color to match a/c yellow,cream, and black for the engine.

As mentioned, John Scheele of Johnny Products fame, has switched over to powder-coating all this products. I know he spent some effort trying to get a yellow that matched pretty closely (it's still a little too yellow, IMO) from "off-the-shelf" colors available. I don't know how or how closely he's been able to color-match the Simplicity tractors... but he's a club member with a 3212 (I think) of his own so I'd imagine he's matched it fairly closely.... You may want to contact him, in case he doesn't see this topic -- with the success of the Johnny Bucket, I think he's a pretty busy guy....

Guys, We would be more than happy to offer our powder on the web site if you think there would be enough interest in it. Our orange is very close and has better covering quality than most them out there. The AC yellow we have is not as good as we would like. We can have a custom color made if you can send me a good sample. We should be able to match the cream also and already have a sample to match against. Just give us a show of hands and we will add it to the site. Thanks, John

Getting ready to redo my 7013 and I'm really leaning toward using powder coat paint. The guys I work with say the paint is as tough as nails after it has been cured. Also like mentioned above a jug of powder goes a long way. I may even buy my own gun, but the curing process is going to be the problem. Don't think the wife would like the idea of curing them in the oven.

Maybe you guys wantting to do your own powder coating should look around for an old pizza oven, might be big enough to fit a hood or frame in.

Guys, http://www.columbiacoatings.com/ has inexpencive powder coating equipment for the hobbyist and also heat lamps and propane infaread systems for curing parts that are larger than the wife's oven. John